who is the best sampler?

old rza, old havoc

Good choices. Havoc is underrated. RZA had his own movement and his own disciples;4th disciple, True Mathematics etc... RZA seemed to hit a creativy block kinda early in his career though after a few solo WU Tang releases. It seemed like he ran out of sample ideas after Cuban Linx and started making those terrible keyboard beats. Bobby Digital was horrible but it was entertaining. I later found out that Bobby Digital was RZA's alter ego on PCP. No one mentions Alchemist.

Last edited:
Good choices. Havoc is underrated. RZA had his own movement and his own disciples;4th disciple, True Mathematics etc... RZA seemed to hit a creativy block kinda early in his career though after a few solo WU Tang releases. It seemed like he ran out of sample ideas after Cuban Linx and started making those terrible keyboard beats. Bobby Digital was horrible but it was entertaining. I later found out that Bobby Digital was RZA's alter ego on PCP. No one mentions Alchemist.

Those Bobby Digital albums are dope as **** man!

No specific order.

Madlib
Muggz
Dj Shadow
RJD2
Dj Krush
Dj Food
Mr Scruff
Quantic
Massive Attack
Tricky

and others...

Sure, if you like keyboard beats played out of key and one chord melodies. If I was dusted out on PCP then maybe I could relate a little better to the beats. It's similar to trying to listen to chopped and screwed without sipping syrup. I did like his lyrics because they were so left field, it was entertaining. RZA was dusted out of his mind on that album. PCP's played out now but it was popular in the late 80's, early 90's. Meth and Ghost were dust heads too. I remember Ghost saying in an interview he was so dusted back in the day, he cant even translate what some of those lyrics meant today. It's the Album with that has that song" One" and the video where he's got the wally machine and he's wearing a bathrobe.

Last edited:

Here's a quote from RZA about Bobby Digital from an old interview

Your alter ego Bobby Digital smoked a lot of PCP. Do you still **** with that? Bobby Digital smoked anything you ****ing gave him. But I’m not too much into drugs these days. I don’t even smoke weed like I used to. I just grew out of it. Now I can throw down some Patron, some champagne on your ass, but I don’t need to smoke. Drugs should only be used for meditation, not medication.

Read more: Interview: RZA | The FADER

I have to add Roc Marciano to the list of my fav producers. He's got some ill loops even though I think his drums need improvement.

Shadow (Take a look at his sampling list for Endtroducing as example)
Blockhead (Music by Cavelight is a phenomenal soundscape)
Parov Stelar (electro swing wouldn't be half what it is without him)
Premier (So subtle yet so powerful, sometimes it is what you don't add to the sound)
Pete Rock (a pioneer no doubt)
Dilla (That man could sample a mouse fart and make it work)

There are a myriad more but these are the ones I look at as most influential to me in a variety of ways which makes none of them individually "the greatest" but they most definitely wrote the soundtrack for life.

Last edited:
Was just listening to a few tracks from Count Bass D and it occurred to me nobody had mentioned him yet, he deserves to be on this list for sure.

KAN KICK-That man always had nice smooth samples, and was damn creative too, so slept on

DILLA-You know the score, drums were exceptional, again damn creative in a world of his own don't gotta do too much talking

KEV BROWN-Cool dude and talented

That's like my top 3 atm I change my mind every two weeks though.

like everyone else is saying...it is a tough question to ask...i can tell you some of my favs..in no order

Pete Rock
Large Pro
Premier
Hi-Tek
RJD2
Damu the Fudgemunk
Alchemist
Black Milk
Evil Needle
9th Wonder
Prince Paul
Dave Darlington (master behind Blowout Comb by Digable Planets)
Nujabes (RIP) if you do not know him he was Japan's Pete Rock NUTS!
?uestlove
No ID

I could list all day!

Back