Who Has The Biggest Vocabulary In Rap? Might Surprise You...

j.troup

Check it out...

The Largest Vocabulary in Hip hop

Literary elites love to rep Shakespeare’s vocabulary: across his entire corpus, heuses 28,829 words, suggesting he knew over 100,000 words and arguably had the largest vocabulary, ever.
I decided to compare this data point against the most famous artists in hip hop. I used each artist’s first 35,000 lyrics. That way, prolific artists, such as Jay-Z, could be compared to newer artists, such as Drake.

35,000 words covers 3-5 studio albums and EPs. I included mixtapes if the artist was just short of the 35,000 words. Quite a few rappers don’t have enough official material to be included (e.g., Biggie, Kendrick Lamar). As a benchmark, I included data points for Shakespeare and Herman Melville, using the same approach (35,000 words across several plays for Shakespeare, first 35,000 of Moby Dick).
I used a research methodology called token analysis to determine each artist’s vocabulary. Each word is counted once, so pimps, pimp, pimping, and pimpinare four unique words. To avoid issues with apostrophes (e.g., pimpin’ vs. pimpin), they’re removed from the dataset. It still isn’t perfect. Hip hop is full of slang that is hard to transcribe (e.g., shorty vs. shawty), compound words (e.g., king shit), featured vocalists, and repetitive choruses.
It’s still directionally interesting. Of the 85 artists in the dataset, let’s take a look at who is on top.

Last edited:
A white guy is at the top of the list for most diverse vocabulary in hip hop? What a racist study.

You know someone is bound to put that out there as an argument against this:berzerk:

Cool article. Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon is underrated coz he gets a little weird at times, but I've always thought he's a great wordsmith.

Cool article. Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon is underrated coz he gets a little weird at times, but I've always thought he's a great wordsmith.

The thing of it is though is a broad vocabulary is not necessarily implying great vocal gymnastics. I have heard people who are wordy simply to sound intelligent but deliver nothing of value and I have heard people with a seemingly limited vocabulary deliver great soundscapes and messages.

I don't think we should take this research as implying mutual exclusivity.

I can't put any rapper today "even Eminem" past any random unknown rapper in the late 80's early 90's when it comes to vocabulary and actually having something to say with those words verse just using them to make a line sound dope. I say that because the fans wouldn't have it any other way. That era was all about vocab. 2Pac's early raps were a lot heavier in vocab than his later stuff. We used to "school you"...we used to say it with power. And even if a rapper had a great vocab, if he presented himself as more of a comedian, it took away from his greatness...because other rappers back then "wasn't no joke". You were called out as a "comedian" and you LOSE! In other words, Lil Wayne (for example) couldn't rap how he does today and be considered "great" just because his approach would be comedy.

Back