Who has heard of this amazing SUBPACK seat thing?? Makes me want to invest in it

ZiloZile

So I think this is simply amazing....to "feel the music".
Its a bit costly, my friend just got one and its on back order but i can't wait to try it and see for myself if I want one as well!
What do you think? Worth it?

Check it out if you haven't already:
SubPac | Feel Your Music on Vimeo

Not entirely sure but I remember something called bass shakers. Sorta like how gamecontrollers do that weird shaking it's like those I think, could be wrong though.

for playing games: maybe; for mixing audio: no way

also don't forget how high powered, low freq audio can actually pulverise your internal organs if you are not careful - not something I would want to have happen unexpectedly

Last edited:
for playing games: maybe; for mixing audio: no way

also don't forget how high powered, low freq audio can actually pulverise your internal organs if you are not careful - not something I would want to have happen unexpectedly

Sounds like just the right kind of fear for my own self-preservation that I miss while mixing these days.

*let's boost this around 25......blood everywhere*

Last edited:
Yah from what I've seen its being marketed as a mixing aid for helping with your low end. But to me that makes zero sense. Are you're listeners going to be sitting there with a sub pac wrapped around their body? Im not very educated on the product but the general idea of it seems ridiculous to me. And the fact people are getting even more excited to use it for mixing is even more ridiculous.

Games I can see..but the only talk I see about this thing online is for mixing. And I dont agree with that at all.

Well, there's a bunch of people on Gearslutz that have this thing and pretty much all of them are saying that it helps tremendously in sculpting the low end. It sounds like a gimmick, but so far the feedback from the actual users is pretty convincing.

Semi-pros, from what I gather - so it seems like it's a helpful device in less-than-stellar acoustic conditions.

I'm not sure why I'm on the defensive on this thing, but i guess it seems it's getting a slight bashing without anyone actually having tried it :)

Semi-pros, from what I gather - so it seems like it's a helpful device in less-than-stellar acoustic conditions.

I'm not sure why I'm on the defensive on this thing, but i guess it seems it's getting a slight bashing without anyone actually having tried it :)

I just dont even understand how you would measure if its rumbling enough or not haha. When have you ever mixed your sub based on how much your chair was rumbling. It would be weird i think, after doing it one way and then having to adjust. I wouldnt know if I should be making my decisions by ear, or feel. Or how the 'chair would translate to other systems' haha it feels weird saying that. Next there will be Studio grade sub pacs and game grade sub pacs.

But you're right, I've never even used it. The idea of going by feel just seems weird to me, i dont even know what the standard would be for optimum level. "There's a little too much rumble in my upper thigh"

I'm not knocking it as such but it comes across as compromise - I have seen similar units that have been developed for gamer use as part of immersive technologies but I do not believe that they are uncoloured enough to be useful in home or semi-pro mixing environments

My friend uses just 2 Rokit8s, and that used be enough for him but his studio is in a long basement type hall/room. And the lows truly cannot be heard accurately due to his setup (it seems to louder in the corner BEHIND the desk). And for that reason it makes sense for him to get one. I can't wait to try though...I think it would help more than anything. And even listening to new music...that would be such a new experience.
As for the health hazards, I'm not too sure my take on that.

I just dont even understand how you would measure if its rumbling enough or not haha. When have you ever mixed your sub based on how much your chair was rumbling. It would be weird i think, after doing it one way and then having to adjust. I wouldnt know if I should be making my decisions by ear, or feel. Or how the 'chair would translate to other systems' haha it feels weird saying that. Next there will be Studio grade sub pacs and game grade sub pacs.

But you're right, I've never even used it. The idea of going by feel just seems weird to me, i dont even know what the standard would be for optimum level. "There's a little too much rumble in my upper thigh"
If going by feel sounds weird to you that must mean you've never experienced an even half-decent sound system. No clubs, no concerts, no festivals, not even cinema, that one friend with a tricked out car or some random warehouse rave? That's really sad, man.
I hope your fortunes pick up and/or that you're really young. Either way you should make it your priority.

The reason it translates - and it cannot be overstated how insanely much it helps - is because it basically feels like leaning up against a massive bin, but obviously just on your back. I mean speakers make sound, with the incidental side effect (in the low end) of all that air vibrating your body.
This thing just goes straight to producing that side effect (and has its own side effect of making minor amounts of sound)

I'm with BC and Yumid on this; IMHO, useless for mixing. Mixing a record is not going to a rave, a festival, a concert, the movies, or riding in a friend's tricked-out low-rider. It is mixing, and because we want to have good translation, there is a slight crossover with those other activities, mixing needs to be its own specific endeavor. Those "kickers" were first developed for bass players and drummers in less than optimum live monitoring situations. Again, you will not see someone like Dave Pensado using a butt-kicker seat because it "makes his mixes so much better." But then, I'm old school-- I don't even like subs for mixing. To the gentleman up a few posts ^^ whose friend "needs" one for his basement... I respectfully submit that he needs to treat his basement room properly first, before considering cockamamie butt-kicker products...

GJ

Back