Which way should I go? Need to find a identity

bschaefer

Hey guys!

I came from a rock'n roll background. Played on a r'n'r band and all this stuff, just like my brothers. Music is in my blood.
Well, when I was like 16 years old, I started to listen to some prog rock, this took me to jazz, then funk and soul. Jazz and funk took me to the acid jazz and some nu-jazz stuff, this was my introduction to electronic music. So i received a lot of kinds of music from all the sides

Today, i'm listening a lot of genres of electronic music, and thats my problem:
I just want to do everything! I mean, i'm listening to progressive house, techno and sub-genres, deep house, some electro stuff. And sometimes those genres don't combine. My tracks seems too different from each other. One day I'm doing a prog house, other day i'm doing a deep house or a techno, and next day i'm doing a electro "dirty" kind of thing or a funky nu disco style.

This is not bad at all, but if I upload everything that I made on internet, it will look too messy.

So, I need help, what should I do? Maybe create more than one account on soundcloud, more than one project?
Or should I mix up all this stuff, all this influences and do something original and crappy :D?

One artist with one project doing all kinds of music, doesn't confuse the listener? Isn't a bad thing to sell our fish?

Making more than one genre correctly is tricky tbh. It's not like tribal music. Makin multiple soundclouds is usually to bypass the 3 hour limit lol. Basically dude do what you wanna do. There's even an option to just make playlists of your tracks and labeling em whatever, playlists on soundcloud is like folders

Thank you for the tips JBalitmore and KonKossKang! I appreciate.

I know that mixed stuff could create great gems, but it stills a tricky thing to do.
I refer to how should I present my work to labels, etc.

I'm thinkin of creating a project. Search for a artistic name, pick up a couple of finished tracks and send to labels as demo's. Then, for instance, someone likes one of my techno track, so this person search for more of my tracks and dont find too much techno tracks, but more prog track's. Then I lost a potential listener.
Many producers that I follow are very specific in what they do. I dont expect to hear X genre track of a artist who produce Y genre.

I mean, in fact, homogeneity is a good thing? An eclectic presentation of my work can prejudice my image, or something?
Im just lost on how to start a serious thing, lol
Meanwhile, i'll try my best to mix up those influences in my sound.

Anyway, thanks you again for the tips!

Last edited:
Best advice is, practice, practice, then practice some more. Get to know you gear inside out. Know them passionately. Then emulate your favourite producer. You'll find your identity along the way. J Dilla has said on numerous occasions, that he was try to sound like Pete Rock, but found himself in the process.

That is really hard subject. Should you create multiple monikers and categorize it with many genres you like and create, or just make one profile with many styles? Many profiles will make you more work to promote it and one profile with multiple ganres could discourage your listeners.
If I were You (I am in a way, I've made music form hip-hop to musicals) I would create few Soundcloud profiles but promote only one that is most mainstream. With this popular profile you can instroduce your isteners to other styles you make. Some will follow, some will not.
Nut most important is: don't close to one style if You feel You can do more. This is part of learning.

Giving up your "other stuff" for making one genre for one audience it's kind of going backwards. Your identity shouldn't be taking off something of you, but gathering everything and making your unique sound. Of course it would ""confuse"" the listeners but you can always make parallel projects if you dont want your techno song in your Progressive House/Festival profile if it comes to that.

But in the end i would get "the best" of every genre you make, and make awesome music in the end!

Hope i helped

Cheers

Back