Which USB Audio Interface?

Which USB Audio Interface Should I Buy?

• ESI DuaFire 2 in / 4 out Firewire (Not really USB but close enough)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Line6 TonePort UX1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Line6 TonePort UX2

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Tascam US-122L

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Tascam US-144

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Tascam US-224

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB

Votes: 91 58.7%
  • Edirol UA-25 USB Audio

• E-MU 0202 USB 2.0

• E-MU 0404 USB 2.0

Votes: 29 18.7%

• Total voters

Whistleblower

Okay, I have some cash to spend on my home studio and am thinking of getting a USB Audio Interface so that I can plugin my monitors as well as my headphones but I don't know which audio interface to buy. I have some spare cash to buy a wide range but I need some help. Which one should I buy and why? I have decided to create a poll on this for future reference.

If you have any of the audio interfaces that I have listed please let me know what you think of it. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
But I have about $450 to spend on an audio interface so is there anything else which is good that I could spend some real money on?

mackie satellite, presonus firebox, there are a bunch visit an online retailer and compare features and stuff and see whats important to u. the stuff i got might not cut it for u. i do have the mackie satellite, and i like it, but u might need midi or digital i/o, see what i mean?
LevLove

I was researching and came across two things that seem really good so far. There is the "Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 Interface" and the "Tasmcam Fireone" Audio Controller.

I can afford both but I am more persuaded to purchase the NI Kontrol due to better reviews. Is it a worthwhile buy? Is it a good interface?

The Fireone on the other hand has a good controller and is able to be used as a controller for playing back music. There is a large jog wheel but the reviews are not that great.

Which product would you buy? At the moment I am thinking of the NI Kontrol but I am still unsure. Any advice would be helpful.

What do you guys think about Emu Pci 16/16, any good?

i heard some home recordings done with a presonus firepod (firestudio? it was the one that is $399) and they sounded really good. i don't have much experience with interfaces, but if i was to buy one right now i would get that one.

go firewire and get an alesis io26

why?

phono pre for turntable

adat inputs

8 mic pres (good ones) two of which are switchable for guitar/bass

the pres are switchable in pairs not groups of four

led meters on analog channels and main outs

and it has the same firewire chips as the firepod

also the construction on it is great real sturdy everything is secure, no loose connections.

I have and I would definitely recommend it.

if you don't have firewire you can get a PCI card off ebay for 11 bucks.(including shipping)

I personally like m-audio firewire 410, 4 in 10 out and my favorite feature is the two headphone jacks. plus with it being M-adudio it can run pro-tools. which you will need sooner or later

I'm finna get me a MOTU UltraLite.... Then I'll sell my MBOX....
Peace
S II

Last edited:
What advantages does the Alesis io14 have over the rest of those models? I'm thinking about grabbing one because I've heard good things...and OBI, are you talking american money? Where?

Also, if anyone can recommend a good condenser mic for professional vocal recording it'd be appreciated. I've got a Samson USB co1u and I'm not happy with the results I'm getting....

The alesis can be found cheaply on ebay they have great interfaces with the io series. I wouldn't go with their mix series though. Also presonus firebox is great.....and as far as a mic I use the heil pro pr 40. Its a dynamic but its one of ther best mics under 1000

I would steer clear of the Alesis and the Firebox. My vote goes to the 0404 of the options given, though I wouldn't be looking at USB at all unless you're using a lappy, and even then I would lean toward Firewire. The transfer rates between Firewire and USB are comparable, but Firewire is isosynchronous, which is to say that it guarantees the delivery of time-critical data. It was specifically designed with multi-channel audio and video streaming in mind.

i agree on the ultra i just ordered it it looks amazing when it comes in i will update and let you know how it is

Im rocking the Edirol, it works just fine for me.

But the question you need to ask yourself is how many inputs do you really need.

Big Friar said:
What advantages does the Alesis io14 have over the rest of those models? I'm thinking about grabbing one because I've heard good things...and OBI, are you talking american money? Where?

Also, if anyone can recommend a good condenser mic for professional vocal recording it'd be appreciated. I've got a Samson USB co1u and I'm not happy with the results I'm getting....

Rode Nt1 one of the mics that emulates the original Neumann U-87,

Last edited:
i know people are going to disagree but...

i bought the mbox 2...annnnnd i love it.......

pro-tools is sweet, and i love the pre's...never had a problem with latency running at 128 samples (where 256 is more than sufficient)...

that being said, thats just personal preference...i like it, you may want to think about it....

I understand theres only 2 inputs, but for hip-hop (not counting live drums) its been more than enough so far....

Back