Which MPC should I get??

jmanpelayo

jmanpelayo
I am interested in getting an MPC. I do not know if I want an older one like the AKAI MPC 2000 or an up-to-date one like the 500 or 1000. I noticed that the older ones take floppy disks and I didnt know whether or not to get something like that because thats dead technology. I noticed that some producers still use old ones but I just wanted some info on whats better. I know they all do about the same thing so.....any suggestions?

Why not MPD 26 or 32? It's newer stuff and I heard from a lot of people that is very good. Im thinking about buying one.

Yeah I want the mpc because I am already using my akai drum machine (XR20) for my controller. I want to be able to chop samples from old albums and I dont know how to use the sampler in the software I have. I just like the mpc feel.

get the 1000, then cop the jjos, then create.....trust me, when i first started out, i copped a 3000 and its more of hastle to even bother with them damn floppys, then you got to have a floppy just to get the damn thing up and working everytime, needless to say i traded it in and got a 1000!

so what about the native instruments maschine?? it seems cool but i dont know if it could be used without a computer or the software. I know the mpc can be played without a computer but can the maschine??

so what about the native instruments maschine?? it seems cool but i dont know if it could be used without a computer or the software. I know the mpc can be played without a computer but can the maschine??

Idk all too much about it, but it gets brought up every time. Idk, I thought it was a computer. Shit, the MPC is too in a way. The only thing I think that makes Maschine better is VSTs. But don't quote me on that, like I said Idk too much about it.

ok cool. all the videos and tutorials i see about the maschine is that is always connected to the computer and used with its software. it looks like a controller. check some of the videos out on youtube or whatever and let me know what you think about it? im thinking about getting it but i dont want buyers remorse.

ok cool. all the videos and tutorials i see about the maschine is that is always connected to the computer and used with its software. it looks like a controller. check some of the videos out on youtube or whatever and let me know what you think about it? im thinking about getting it but i dont want buyers remorse.​

everyone has a different preference on their mpc choice. personally i prefer the old school mpcs over the newer ones even though I do think the 2500 and 5000 would be nice to have. mpcs in general are dated technology though even with the card readers in the newer ones they haven't changed much in over a decade. That said I think you should really just try a few out and pick one that you like be it new or old.

ok cool. all the videos and tutorials i see about the maschine is that is always connected to the computer and used with its software. it looks like a controller. check some of the videos out on youtube or whatever and let me know what you think about it? im thinking about getting it but i dont want buyers remorse.​

The workflow is better than a dedicated hardware device.

However, you need to ensure that your computer is up to par. As of the time of this writing, an instance of Maschine runs on only one core. That means any VSTs you load within maschine will all be fighting for CPU cycles on the same core while your other core(s) will sit around. The back-and-forth communication also tends to add some CPU load.
Each individual core needs to be a beast in-and-of itself. NI says they're going to make it multicore eventually, but they say its not on their "most important" list, strangely enough.

Last edited:
mpc looks dope.. if i wanted to start makin beats do u think aan mpc would b too advanced?
Mpcs are actually very easy to just pick up and go on. Some of the easiest pieces of gear I've ever used. I have a 2000.

However, you need to ensure that your computer is up to par. As of the time of this writing, an instance of Maschine runs on only one core. That means any VSTs you load within maschine will all be fighting for CPU cycles on the same core while your other core(s) will sit around. The back-and-forth communication also tends to add some CPU load.
Each individual core needs to be a beast in-and-of itself. NI says they're going to make it multicore eventually, but they say its not on their "most important" list, strangely enough.
Wouldn't this issue be eliminated by running Machine as a vst though. It may not be ideal for some but I think this is what it was meant to be in the first place right?

then wats 64bit for, i thought that 64bit mode took advantage of multi core...? i never quite understood the whole 64bit thing, i still use 32bit tho cuz not all my plugs are 64bit.

Last edited:
Back