which comes first when making.....

bboyzeez

hi everyone

i looking to make a demo/mixtape basically of all free beats from places like soundclick which will have tags on etc.....

basically i want to know should i as a recording artist be aiming to make a demo tape to show producers what im capable of? what if my mixing is wack will this effect any chances or will they see thats what they are there for and get ideas from my wack mixing lol?

should u aim to make a few good songs then go out performing them or wait until u got a mixtape behind u first?

few noob questions but wanna make sure i doing the right thing

thanks

i've hated the ideas of even thinking about a mixtape unless you have some solid songs done...with all the good tracks on soundclick i would secure 3-5 exclusives and create a demo (if at all possible try to get the mutlitrack sessions from them.) and hit a real studio when you can if your unable to get the quality you want...

do the mixtape stuff on your own that way you can LEARN what your doing what you want...if you have any questions you know you can always ask here

so if u were looking to send a demo off to contacts u wouldnt even think of sending off free beats with tags in? best to buy some?

from what i understand is that the labels want something that they can take directly from you to sell...with that being said if you don't own the rights to something they really won't mess with you ... or if you have to go back and secure the rights to those tracks you may have already lost

ahhh now that makes a good point i suppose thats right what about if they know the tracks are exclusive but mixing is at a poor standard will they still be interested in getting u in studio and redoing them or not?

the best thing to do is have a finished project when you approach a label i know that sounds backwards but that's the way they play now...they not willing to give up nothing unless they know you are going to make them money. with that being said, they may or may not see the potential of a track unless its finished (mixed, mastered, and ready to go)

so if u were looking to send a demo off to contacts u wouldnt even think of sending off free beats with tags in? best to buy some?

labels are going to want to hear songs that are 100% finished and ready to press up into a CD... they have to sound like hits... labels aren't looking for "people with potential"... they are looking for finished product they can release.

(plus, most labels don't accept unsolicited demos)

If you are looking for someone who may be willing to "see your potential" through a crappy demo... try reaching out to producers. Producers make the product that record companies buy.

unsolicited means if they don't know who you are, they don't care. focus on building up your brand, if you do the labels will chase you.

Back