Which Comes first? The Beat or the Melody?

Hel, I enjoy essays. But Time is only one dimension. Vibrations are moving molecules in space. So space is needed.

But I was only trying to say that the artist is using rhythm or melody, 1st or second, by CHOICE. It is usually a matter of convenience, and most people come to a way of creating that works for them the best. The choices are irrelevant after the whole thing comes together. The process is interesting but it isn't necessarily going to be the only method to arrive at the song, which carries both elements of rhythm and melody in it.

Last edited:
I think i posted this question a while back i dont remember, anyways ive just basically decided it doesnt matter what u do first, i mean sometimes u will think of a hook or melody and then put a beat down 2 match it, or othertimes u will come up with a nice beat then follow thru with a melody or hook. I guess it just comes down 2 what comes 2 ur mind first and what u like first. whatever catches ur attention first just do it then later think of adding the rest is my opinion.

modornge said:
Hel, I enjoy essays. But Time is only one dimension. Vibrations are moving molecules in space. So space is needed.

But I was only trying to say that the artist is using rhythm or melody, 1st or second, by CHOICE. It is usually a matter of convenience, and most people come to a way of creating that works for them the best. The choices are irrelevant after the whole thing comes together. The process is interesting but it isn't necessarily going to be the only method to arrive at the song, which carries both elements of rhythm and melody in it.

Yes, space and time. That's what I said. We agree, in regards to that aspect.

This post seems old as dirt.

Xabiton said:
AM I THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO HATES READING ESSAYS! lol.

I thought I would never have to look at essays once my school days were over too, oh well.

Anyway I usually do the drums first and then the melody. But what I have started to do these days is, make like 10 complete drum patterns in one project and then make like 10 different melody patterns in another project. What I do then is try to match a drum pattern with a melody pattern to see what sounds dope. Does anyone else do this?

Peace

Reading is fundamental, mofos!

....or some sh!t like that.

No but seriously, do you read your contracts (even if you have a lawyer), manuals, et cetera? Just wondering, because those are longer than anything people post on FP.

hel said:
Reading is fundamental, mofos!

....or some sh!t like that.

No but seriously, do you read your contracts (even if you have a lawyer), manuals, et cetera? Just wondering, because those are longer than anything people post on FP.
i read my manuals for getting started and trouble shooting

mosthated_99 said:
I think i posted this question a while back i dont remember, anyways ive just basically decided it doesnt matter what u do first, i mean sometimes u will think of a hook or melody and then put a beat down 2 match it, or othertimes u will come up with a nice beat then follow thru with a melody or hook. I guess it just comes down 2 what comes 2 ur mind first and what u like first. whatever catches ur attention first just do it then later think of adding the rest is my opinion.
Sounds good to me..However your mind can put it together works.

Back