Which akai mpcs are best value for buck?

KonKossKang

Ozagas
Mpc500 works with 32-64gb of flash memory?

people say ren needs a computer and I'm not too fond of maschine, would the mpc500 or 1000 be better value for the $?
some people mention the 500 works with a 32gb cf card and some don't, and seems very portable.
The 1000 has the full 4x4, but pricetag above 400. If the 500 can work with 32-64gb cards without problems it will be the first choice.
if not, 1000.

Last edited:
Not sure about the 500, but I and a friend have MPC 1000s, I bought mine new just after they announced they were discontinuing the 1000. Best buy I've ever made. I was thinking about the 500, but I heard that the sound wasn't as gritty as the 1000. Not sure if that's true or not.

If you're going for an MPC, why not a 3000? Similar sort of money, isn't it? I know I'll be getting a 3000 in the future.

I imagine that the 500 has the ability to upgrade it's CF reader. Check out one of the MPC customisation companies like mpcstuf.com. I know that Akai have the tendency to change and improve the hardware of their models throughout their life cycles, so maybe a later one will have the ability for a higher CF.

I didn't even realise that card readers had a limit on what they accept!! Overall, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Last edited:
Nevermind after checking prices again, the mpc500 is just too much, should not cost more than a 2000.Wtf, a 2000's cheaper.
I'm gonna have to compromise on portability after checkin again. I'll deal with the weight next month from now unless the prices change again

Last edited:
1000 is by far the best value for the money. Its basically a fully featured 2500 in a smaller, more affordable form factor. I 've owned every MPC besides the 3000, my go to was the 2500, best value easily the 1000.

If you're going to use it for drums and portability, I'd opt for the 500 out of the 2. Do you really need 64gb of drums? You'll be layering most of the time and with 16gb worth of drums, your sounds are pretty much limitless. What's the RAM like? Seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill with this.

Say you set aside 10gb of the 32 for the session files, you can then copy and back them up and remove them from your card when you max the card. That's a significant amount of space. I've made about 200 beats on my mpc, the session files equal to just over 3gb. Send them over to an external hard drive once you've tracked them out on your PC for mixing.

Gonna have to research these things for at least 2 months before makin a decision. So far It seems I'll have to research the 500, 1000, 3000 and 4000.
Can't really find a standalone beatmachine that's a 4x4 besides akai and native instruments, just noticed this. xr20 is out the question, people have said this doesn't have import options.

I'm not gonna use mpc for sound design, they are more suited for standalone drumming and playing chops from wavepad while the computer is used for synthesis. I will use my desktop as the "Centralhub" so this won't be an issue but I'm just conflicted about the pricetag being the same. Yeah I'm gonna stick to the mpc500 decision for now

Last edited:
500 is a lot less intuitive to edit than the 1000.

I'm happy with Maschine but the 1000 is a lot of fun to use (albeit with a much slower workflow)

You'd be better off with Maschine Mikro MkII and an Audio Interface but go for it! It'll be a far less flexible setup...

if a maschine mikro does standalone, has a harddrive and can be used to make beats without computer then ill look into it.
I'm gonna need to research mpcs in general now, been spoiled by the fingerdrumming.

Back