Where was Hip-hop 5 Years ago and where is it heading?

it packed its bags and headed back underground because all of its pop trading homies turning thier backs for quick cheap success.

hip hop wasn't all that great 5 years ago and its not all that great today. I think it was about the same actually. Super stagnant everyone is either not trying to move forward or are trying to move forward by making pop music and labeling it hip hop. I don't think making hip hop into pop is the best way of moving forward because pop is flavor of the month. I think hip hop getting back to its roots and expanding what made it great in the first place is the way to go. I would love to see more bands in hip hop. I thought that was the best way to move forward but I think I am in the minority.

The days where better when the internet wasn't as widespread. Now we got all kinds of wack artist releasing mixtapes from their basement.

Lupe said it best "the internet killed the mystery of artists".

If it keeps going like this, there will be no more new legends to come up, caus its simply too easy to become a rapper now days.

I didnt know lupe said that, but its true.. i don't care what chief keef had for breakfast. I bet if there was no internet i would probly like alot more artists. They go on youtube and show there ass and i start not liking them.. i just want the music, not daily life episodes.

I didnt know lupe said that, but its true.. i don't care what chief keef had for breakfast. I bet if there was no internet i would probly like alot more artists. They go on youtube and show there ass and i start not liking them.. i just want the music, not daily life episodes.
YES and the fact people want to see all that bullshit for some reason is why all these trash ass dudes end up with a chance in hell to get heard its almost like its about the music last now

DO you guys think that the producers are somewhat to blame for this too?

Yes to some degree. Timbaland beats doesnt sound like they used to, he copied the dance/hous/pop style. Same with Drumma Boy. They used to call him superproducer, but now hes just like any other producer (like Lex Luger, Young Choppa, Sonny Digital ect.

We can blame the producers, the recording "artists", the labels, and the internet, but at the end of the day it is up to the consumer. The previous mentioned only do what brings them money. "Organic" music has no place in a world where the food isn't "organic". Going with today's latest trend instead of tomorrow's longevity is the reason why you see someone shine today but are irrelevant tomorrow.

hip hop wasn't all that great 5 years ago and its not all that great today. I think it was about the same actually. Super stagnant everyone is either not trying to move forward or are trying to move forward by making pop music and labeling it hip hop. I don't think making hip hop into pop is the best way of moving forward because pop is flavor of the month. I think hip hop getting back to its roots and expanding what made it great in the first place is the way to go. I would love to see more bands in hip hop. I thought that was the best way to move forward but I think I am in the minority.

100% agree. The genre needs to redefine itself by connecting with its roots and redefining itself. Will it happen, only time will tell....

i didnt know lupe said that, but its true.. I don't care what chief keef had for breakfast. I bet if there was no internet i would probly like alot more artists. They go on youtube and show there ass and i start not liking them.. I just want the music, not daily life episodes.

amen brother

Hip Hop is the $1 menu of the music world.

It's cheap to make and you don't have to put much into it.

Last edited:
being integral to our modern culture, the simplest product is easiest for the simplest masses to digest and perpetuates the lack of substance in the top 40.

you have to be tuned into alternate sources to find the diamonds in the rough unless they can bring themselves to light

Back