Where does most of your work come from?

KelevraOne

Not too Kelevra son
I'm curious where do ya'll (who make money from music) get most of your clients? Do you get more clients and sales from online, meeting with people in person, word of mouth, Family and Friends, etc... I'd also like to know what ya'll think you should focus marketing your music.

I'm curious where do ya'll (who make money from music) get most of your clients? Do you get more clients and sales from online, meeting with people in person, word of mouth, Family and Friends, etc... I'd also like to know what ya'll think you should focus marketing your music.

When I was, it was mostly selling beats to people that I'd randomly networked with online.. It wasn't much, not even enough to pay rent.. but you gotta start building somewhere.

Then I went to school for audio engineering..

I haven't posted in this section in a while, but I remember when I first came to this site everyone was all on that $20 leasing off of soundclick shit lol.. it seems really petty, especially if you're only getting a sale every now and then, but that little bit of networking will keep expanding if you stay in contact with your clients.. and eventually you gotta realize that if you REALLY want to make a living off music, you can't do everything by yourself.

Even if you can crank out a well-produced album solo, you're still gonna need people to market.. and if you plan on throwing shows.. you're gonna need venues/promoters/DJs..

I'm going off topic here.. sorry if I'm hijacking.

I'm really interested in how they're gonna approach sales and stats in relation to online radio/youtube crowds in the near future.. The integration of YouTube into the Billboards was a first step.. I see internet radio on phones (Pandora, Grooveshark, Last fm) taking place of FM/AM radio more and more now.. could be my location.

I'm really interested in how they're gonna approach sales and stats in relation to online radio/youtube crowds in the near future.. The integration of YouTube into the Billboards was a first step.. I see internet radio on phones (Pandora, Grooveshark, Last fm) taking place of FM/AM radio more and more now.. could be my location.

Internet will be in most vehicles soon. That will be the true death of AM/FM for music. I think most people listen to airwave radio in their cars.. I have one old alarm clock with AM/FM that I use to wake me up and nothing more, but otherwise, none of the audio equipment in my house has a dial.

If I can get a touch-screen Rhapsody feature going in my car... wowzers.

But as for the OP.. Online sales come and go. I'm having much more success with licensing. My band gets local paid gigs too. There, the support is a lot of friends, and we do our best to entertain the strangers in the place, too. It's real nice when there are multiple acts on the bill, and we get to sell CDs to new people. Overall, I'd have to say playing live has been where I've made the most money.

Last edited:
Proprietary website and bandit signs in cities where your artist get the most support

cool. responses, just curious though what is a bandit sign?
and for those who get more sales through personal meetings, how exactly do you do it? Do you play your own music a lot and hope a potential client over hears it and likes it?

Word of mouth. Meeting different people in different places. Turned down sales at work. Don't want to be bothered with the dude. Told him to go get FL Mobile for his phone and make his own beats. Didn't realize I was such a big deal at work. I be feeling all famous and shit. lol! Dude came to me "hey man...word is that you a bad mfer on them beats going around in first shift." Told him.......I'm iight...nothing special".

But check this.......I'm learning the guitar with a few guys so that could turn money just from chillin with those different guys. One guy wants me to mix some of their stuff in the future.

Money comes from everywhere when people know you serious. I know dude a serious guitar player........he can get money from me for his guitar solos......dude bad.....he don't B.S on the guitar. All I want to do is get good enough to do licks......but this guy is blues, metal, rock type expect. A lot of musicians at work. People waiting for a CD. lol! I could probably make $300 a week from just selling instrumental albums alone if I did them a week....just 7 songs. Let me get in that pay check, partna!!!! They BMF in that mug. They will buy anything.

But on top of that...dudes been trying to introduce me to other beatmakers.......I don't want to meet them dudes at all. Telling me "this dude been on the radio"...........so...like I give a.....

Back