Where do you see Hiphop/Rap music going production wise ?

varun213

To me it seems like the majority is very slow tempo and Trap music based. Not sure where it would go from here with technology making it very easy to program up a beat now.
I feel music is getting a bit more robotic and less musical for sure.

What do you guys think?

I think it has been and will continue to go out in all different stylistic directions. There is a ton of talent pushing progressive sound (and I don't mean mumble rap, haha), and there is also a ton of talent pushing underground and old school style influence. Music in general is more diverse than ever its just an incredibly over saturated industry now so it gives off the false perception that everything is going to shit or it all sounds the same when in reality there are just more people trying to create music than ever before. :rolleyes:

Music is more robotic because people have been and are lulled into thinking that spending time sifting through infinite plugins just to get a perfect sound is making music when plugins are means to an end, the end being a finished product. The main thing that makes this era different from previous eras is that anyone can release incomplete ideas and call them songs for public consumption, which sends the message that it doesn't matter if one's thoughts are incoherent, etc. and today's era isn't the first to have similar sounding music as all eras do.

Last edited:
yea they are really stressed on finding the right sound mostly. I feel the music matters the most but like you said with technology its allowing people to create stuff that is not as musical anymore. Like alot of metro boomin's beats to me are very plastic. They have the 808s going but the rest is just way to programmed for me

I see the music is finally leaning towards a more Caribbean tropical feel. What hip hop artist should consider is reaching out to some off these dancehall ryddems type producers for music. Jamaica has had some of the most cutting edge electronic dance music ever made, and there is a very untapped potent content of music coming out the laptops. t

hose reggaeton stars are capitalizing on that same tat tat tat from an oldtime dubplate should say alot about the attraction of jamaican music.

I see the music is finally leaning towards a more Caribbean tropical feel. What hip hop artist should consider is reaching out to some off these dancehall ryddems type producers for music. Jamaica has had some of the most cutting edge electronic dance music ever made, and there is a very untapped potent content of music coming out the laptops. t

hose reggaeton stars are capitalizing on that same tat tat tat from an oldtime dubplate should say alot about the attraction of jamaican music.

not sure how long itll last. majority is still towards a trap sound I feel besides the west coast. dark trap music is prevalent IMO...

For real I can' tell you how it will go. No one had ever thought the south would take over the hip hop sound, and no one knows how the "new sound" is gonna be like. Mumble rap will propably continue to survive (yukh)

Last edited:
I see it getting more electronic, incorporating more dubstep elements, the ones thoroughly skilled in sound design being the innovators, and continuing to move away from the sample based style where hip hop originated from

not sure how long itll last. majority is still towards a trap sound I feel besides the west coast. dark trap music is prevalent IMO...
i agree its def primarily dark trap....but i feel like the people enjoying success right now are bring new vibes to the table..."trap" is still the primary influence....but look at dudes like D.r.a.m His songs all have happy chill vibes to them with a bit of trap on the drums.....i dont like yahtty but hes mainstream now and his sound is quwarky as fuck.

Back