Where do you find new music to sample from?

I sample a lot of songs I listen to regularly which means I sample a lot of classic rock, I've been liking soul and funk a lot more from digging and listening to other people's samples though.

Well since youtube has such a vast collection of all kinds of sounds, I guess that's where I start my search when I have something specific in mind. If I want to sample some old jazz, then I simply look up the artists on youtube that made jazz 50 years ago.

I get it from a variety of places.

Lately it has been by listening to other peoples collections as my listening habits have gotten a bit lazy. When I hear something that catches my ear I note the artist then look them up on Youtube to listen to more from them, research them a bit on Wiki because knowing more about the original artist influences my direction with the usage of their works.

I have been avoiding Pandora/Jango and the like lately because they play very limited selections from artists and I also tend to listen to other producers stations instead of untouched works.

Shop the dollar bin at the record store!!! Dont be subject to one genre, youll find all types of shit, BELIEVE ME.

Last edited:
I feel as tho blogs are slept on.... U can find some oddities n the archives...
not just downloads but entire albums
Ppl prolly kno already but SoulSeek is worth downloading...
Not only for sampling but discovering new music to listen to

I havent bought new music in a minute but between the libary and a few spots In Berkeley, finding new music is never a problem.

The key to finding new samples is a simple mastery: Listen to music.

Listen to music of all different genres and sub-genres. Radio and internet is vast when combined with sites like Youtube, Pandora, Last FM, Grooveshark, etc.

Use your resources.

New as in recent music?

It all happens by chance for me, usually I'll devote lots of time on youtube, sometimes hours turn into days.

Thing is if it's an older song it's almost guaranteed to have been sampled, so it's almost useless to try and find songs that haven't been sampled unless they're in foreign languages.

So with that said, lately I've been using whosampled.com a lot lately to find music to sample.

And how many English songs do you honestly find that haven't been sampled already?

I've searched youtube for probably 100's of hours and can count the songs I've found, and liked, that haven't been sampled, on one hand or maybe two with a few fingers to spare.

My point with that post was basically if you find an older song that sounds cool/good, there's about a 95% or more percent chance it's already been sampled.

If you're looking for English language songs that haven't already been sampled you're almost guaranteed to be wasting your time.

So if I find a song that I like I'm sampling it regardless of how many times it's been sampled.

I'm not saying that,you can find plenty of tracks that haven't been sampled English or Foreign.
I have a HUGE collection of songs i know for a fact noone has sampled.
Youtube and whosampled is not the end all be all.
It comes down to the Genre,everyone wants to use soul to make soulful music but don't think to take something without soul and give it soul.

Peace

I think this is where digging can come into play....
I dont gotta table yet but i plan to dig once it's in the mail...
But your prolly more likely to find songs off vinyl then youtube that havnt been sampled...
Youtube usually has the bands top singles or so that somebody uploaded off their vinyl copy...
Vinyl you have the entire sonic album to pick thru

I think this is where digging can come into play....
I dont gotta table yet but i plan to dig once it's in the mail...
But your prolly more likely to find songs off vinyl then youtube that havnt been sampled...
Youtube usually has the bands top singles or so that somebody uploaded off their vinyl copy...
Vinyl you have the entire sonic album to pick thru

I agree. Maybe somebody somewhere sampled it, but they may be as unknown as you, or less. Go to your store and find something obscure (The other day I found slappy and the gang)

I agree. Maybe somebody somewhere sampled it, but they may be as unknown as you, or less. Go to your store and find something obscure (The other day I found slappy and the gang)

Digging in the crates is slowly becoming extinct. Many today havent been fortunate enough to experience it. It's usually passed from one friend to another. I was fortunate enough to have a buddy that used to go record shopping. I went with him and became hooked instantly.

Also what is to say you don't sample different aspects of the same track?

Someone sampled the first 10 seconds of just about every song out there (bit of a cop out to me) but if you track from somewhere in the middle or towards the end you get a whole different sound while sampling the same exact track. How you lay it out also will make a huge difference because we can sample the same drum and between edits to the sample and placement in the track it again becomes a whole different feel.

there is so much stuff out there, especially from the 60s in 70s, which was released with only about 100 copies or so.
of course those records are really expensive but with the blog culture you can really get anything today. just keep your eyes open.
theres no recipe

Nice try lol. No one's gonna tell you the specific channel and stuff they use.

If you live in a big city, find some old record stores, go for the albums with the most unique covers. Good musician have unusual cover art, idk why.

If the record stores near you suck, go to ebay and/or recordkingz.com.

YouTube has tons of stuff...sometime I'll pick a song and just start going through the suggestions on the side.

Back