When was the last time a classic was released?

KelevraOne

Not too Kelevra son
I'm just curious and thought I should ask this. When was the last time a classic song was released? And I mean a real classic song not just a passing hit that people forget about. To me personally one of the last classic songs I heard was Crank Dat. Save on the attacking but I can't really think of any songs that's been out since then that has had such a wide appeal as that. Obviously I'm restricting this question to Hip Hop, Rap and RnB

Yeeeeen Know?

Gremlin's will make her dance too. Mute the video music and play my shit in the sig. Waka Waka!!!!

Last edited:
I think it's kind of subjective really. You think Crank Dat was huge, they obviously don't. I thought it was just like you said, a passing trend. It was hot, don't get me wrong, but it also depends on what you look at. Is it opinion based? Numbers (Hot 100) based? If you actually take a look at the past 3 or 4 years especially, but can notice the transfer starting in the mid-2000's, that songs don't stay on the top of the charts nearly as long as they did in the late 90's, early 2000's. It shifts around much much more, like every 2 or 3 weeks a new song will be on top, while back then they held that spot for a month, month and a half on average.

But back to your question, I think Empire State of Mind was pretty damn big, and I still hear it (given I live in NY) everyday, and a lot of commercials/ads/promos still use it. Coming Home by Diddy-Dirty Money I think will last too. Probably because those songs have some pop appeal as well.

Last edited:
I think it's kind of subjective really. You think Crank Dat was huge, they obviously don't. I thought it was just like you said, a passing trend. It was hot, don't get me wrong, but it also depends on what you look at. Is it opinion based? Numbers (Hot 100) based? If you actually take a look at the past 3 or 4 years especially, but can notice the transfer starting in the mid-2000's, that songs don't stay on the top of the charts nearly as long as they did in the late 90's, early 2000's. It shifts around much much more, like every 2 or 3 weeks a new song will be on top, while back then they held that spot for a month, month and a half on average.

But back to your question, I think Empire State of Mind was pretty damn big, and I still hear it (given I live in NY) everyday, and a lot of commercials/ads/promos still use it. Coming Home by Diddy-Dirty Money I think will last too. Probably because those songs have some pop appeal as well.
I think the time period is a key part of the question, songs don't chart like they use to.

care to name a song that's been even close to that level of popularity coming from hip hop and rnb?

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

prove me wrong then
Not trying to prove you wrong my friend, but we have a difference of opinion. I agree with Daunte that Empire State was a big song and kinda classic when u consider the NY angle. Over the past few years, I would say "I'm on one" was pretty big-- Drake's drinking verse was classic, also Niggas in Paris was pretty big. There are a few more, but those come to mind now.

I would say "I'm on one" was pretty big--

Yea i agree.. Drake started to get people to say "im on one".. now everyone says it just like that YUUUUUAAAHHHGGGHHHHH that soulja boy started to do..

ALSO
Everyone SHHHH!!!! dont you know its disrespectful to not talk about a twerk team video when one comes on a thread...
*sits back and watches video*

Last edited:
IMO Smash hits like Crank Dat, the Dougie are different from CLASSICS that people will still want to listen to 10 years from now, not just like oh yea wtf happened to soulja boy... i think My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was the last Classic album released that people will still want to listen to in 10 yrs, crank dat will be like the Cha Cha slide... a fun time if it comes on at a event, nothing more

"The Recipe" became a California classic almost instantly.. from up north, the bay area and back down!

BARS + commercial/pop appeal + acceptance by the niggas + a beat that a good number of white folks can dance to = a marketable CLASSIC

Peace.

IMO Smash hits like Crank Dat, the Dougie are different from CLASSICS that people will still want to listen to 10 years from now, not just like oh yea wtf happened to soulja boy... i think My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was the last Classic album released that people will still want to listen to in 10 yrs, crank dat will be like the Cha Cha slide... a fun time if it comes on at a event, nothing more

That's my point with crank dat. Play it ten years from now and everybody will still know all the words and the dance moves. The funny thing is I don't even like the song crank dat. I'm just recognizing how big that song is.

I'm on one while big still doesn't hit that level. If I'd go with a Drake song. I'd have to say it would be over before I'm on one just because of how often that song was used in different types of advertisement and the fact that the intro is sooooo recognizable from the get.

That's my point with crank dat. Play it ten years from now and everybody will still know all the words and the dance moves. The funny thing is I don't even like the song crank dat. I'm just recognizing how big that song is.

I'm on one while big still doesn't hit that level. If I'd go with a Drake song. I'd have to say it would be over before I'm on one just because of how often that song was used in different types of advertisement and the fact that the intro is sooooo recognizable from the get.

What's your opinion on Empire State of Mind my dude? I'm stickin to this one.

Back