"When I record, I only hear myself in one speaker!"

dvyce

BECAUSE YOU ARE RECORDING ONTO A STEREO TRACK!!!

You are recording through a regular standard microphone (or whatever other mono source you are trying to record)...

A stereo track is made up of a "LEFT" and "RIGHT" component.

You are recording onto the "left" or "right" side of your stereo track and leaving the opposite side empty...

This is causing you hear sound from only one speaker.

Because you are only recording to one side of the stereo channel.

Unless you are recording something that has 2 individual outputs that you plug into the "left" and "right" inputs of your interface -- YOU SHOULD BE RECORDING ON A MONO TRACK!

That is the reason you are only hearing sound from one side.

...and, yes, that is ALWAYS the reason
(when all else is working as normal and unless you have your pan knob off center, or you have a plugin on your track that is forcing it to one side, etc.)

Period.

...unless it is something else ;)

I get this question at least once a day.
Knowledge: Your voice is considered a mono instrument and if you are using a USB interface (since it won't split channels) stand along and not with a mixer. In this case. Make two new tracks in your DAW - set the inputs to the Left channel. Example - Input: LEFT: UA-25EX on your DAW. Do the same for the next track. Pan one totally left, and one totally right. If you are doing some dynamic stuff... Make a third one LEFT and pan it center. All your effects should be going to a bus channel back to your master.

If you have an interface and a mixer:
ie. XLR IN into AI -> Left/Right OUT on AI -> Left/Right IN on Mixer -> Left/Right OUT on mixer to 1/8" LINE -IN to soundcard (unless you have a 1/4" jack on your soundcard.)

I get this question at least once a day.
Knowledge: Your voice is considered a mono instrument

This is not really true... and it is not the reason why vocals are typically not recorded in stereo.

and if you are using a USB interface (since it won't split channels) stand along and not with a mixer. In this case. Make two new tracks in your DAW - set the inputs to the Left channel. Example - Input: LEFT: UA-25EX on your DAW. Do the same for the next track. Pan one totally left, and one totally right. If you are doing some dynamic stuff... Make a third one LEFT and pan it center. All your effects should be going to a bus channel back to your master.

Even though none of what you wrote really has anything to do with the point of this thread, I am going to address it anyway since it is just so out there...

You are describing recording the same exact signal to 3 separate channels and panning them left, right and center.

This is NOT "stereo"...

The result of doing this will sound no different whatsoever from simply having one one track panned straight up the middle.

Your recording is still just 100% mono.

All you have succeeded in doing is wasting 2 audio tracks.

If you have an interface and a mixer:
ie. XLR IN into AI -> Left/Right OUT on AI -> Left/Right IN on Mixer -> Left/Right OUT on mixer to 1/8" LINE -IN to soundcard (unless you have a 1/4" jack on your soundcard.)

Huh? wha?

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

You would be surprised at how many people do that.

No I wouldn't... that is why i made this thread!

;)

Maybe input 1 is route to stereo bus and panned hard left?

As I said:

dvyce said:
...and, yes, that is ALWAYS the reason
(when all else is working as normal and unless you have your pan knob off center, or you have a plugin on your track that is forcing it to one side, etc.)

...or maybe input 1 was routed to a bus panned center, then routed to another bus panned hard left...

...or maybe unput 1 was routed to a bus panned center, then routed to another bus panned center, then routed to another bus panned hard left...

...or maybe one of your speakers in unplugged...

...or maybe you are deaf in your right ear...

etc, etc.

(I covered all this in my original post.)

Let's not waste everybody's time by trying to turn this into an "I'm gonna try to prove dvyce wrong" thread...

Not only does it not turn out the way the "challenger" hopes, but it just distracts from the focus of the thread.

This question is asked more times than I can remember, and the answer is always the same.

That is why i made this thread.

I've had issues with this before, up until I learned my hardware and D.A.W. more in depth. Problem solved. :D

dont 4get to record all vocals in mono after u troubleshoot ur problem

To iamque- A bus track is an auxiliary track used to route sfx(delay,reverb) or anytype of processing into the signal path of an audio track-rather then placing the effect directly on the audio track. =]

-J Sky

Hey even i always asked this question at the starting then my friend clear my doubt, but still not knowing this much.Thanks for your explanation. Now i came to know exactly what happens.

Back