What's your take on a Subwoofer

Vorpal-Blade

Hey everybody,
I make my music in quite a large room which is not acoustically treated.
My setup is 2 Adam A7 Monitors which are sitting on my desk directed to me at a triangular fashion.
One of them (left one) is a bit stuck in the corner, which makes it produce a bit more bass, I fix this with my mixer but it doesn't really bug me.

These speakers are lacking in the Bass department and I make Psytrance, so I wanna get some bass.
Previously I had Behringer Truth B2031A Which had more bass (still not enough for me, just a weird frequency response which made them sound good in the low mids).

I am considering placing a sub, the only location could be under my table (under me directly).
I tried just connecting a sub by Sony, don't even know its model type, I can't cut any frequencies of it and it does a nice job giving me some bass but then it's hard to really "Monitor" my sound. So for now I use it only for listening to music.

I am thinking of getting the Adam Sub 8, which usually goes well with the A7's but I'm not sure how this will fit in my room and also if there's such a big difference between a MOnitor SUB or just a normal home theater sub (adjusted properly of course).
If that's actually worth spending so much more money on it..

What are your takes ?

a. on placing a sub in a room with not much acoustics?
b. On the difference between monitor sub and just a home theater sub ?

Thanks in advance ! Any opinion will be greatly appreciated!

I don't like your approach. Saying "there is not enough bass for me" is wrong. Music should only sound one way, more bass will just inaccurately represent your track. I personally have the Adam F7's, and the bass is exactly as it is. I have not heard the A7's but I have heard they are well compared to the F7's except overpriced.

SO a subwoofer will definitely give you more space in your satellites for the other frequencies and give you more clarity in the low end, but don't get a sub for "more" bass get one for more clarity in your bass.

Definitely get a monitor or I'd say your wasting your time for monitoring and mixing, that sony sub will be great to reference for a "normal" system though.

In terms of treatment you could easily bass trap your room with some homemade things, just eliminate the corners! No matter what you will lose a frequency in your bass based on the room dimensions when it "bounces" back off the walls and phases out. I hope your room is not square. get that monitor out of the corner or EQ it, monitors should be symmetrical in your studio along with everything else. Keep sub in line with your satellites if you get it and always best to stay with the manufacturer. But I think the A's are overpriced but that's your decision.

Home theater subs are designed to sound "good" monitor sub is designed to accurately represent the true sonic spectrum of the audio

Back