Whats Your MPC Sampling Style/Workflow ??????

kashawn

YOUNGBASTAD
Still trying to learn chopping slicing and sampling on my MPC I guess I'm so used to Fl that I'm having a hard time adapting..

I wanted to get some intake on what you guys do when samplin music/voices/chops from songs...Do You listen to the whole song...??? Listen to a 8 bar loop of a certain part of the song then chop that??? Do u just Select Certain parts when choppin or what??? I'm just tryin to try any and evrything to better My MPC Skillz...Qall help is greatly Appreciated

utilize all the tools available to you. If you feel most comfortable with slicing in fl then do that and export into the mpc. There are no End all Be all Rules.

If you want good advice from some mpc users then check out mpc-forums.com

you never disclosed which mpc btw?

Last edited:
My fault I have a mpc 1000 and I usually chop in audition but I love the natural feel and vibe of the mpc but I feel repitious when chopping because I only chop 8 bars everytime. I'm trying to make mor soulful beats to rap 2 cause when I'm on fl. The majority of my beats are club bangaz and fl. Let's me create beatws instantly but the mpc is a much more better piece of eq to me.. Also would u recommend me buying the book of off mpc samples ??? There's not too many in depth vids on youtube on sampling and chopping

MPC 1k is/was my bread and butter (recently sold, gotta keep up with the times man!)

You rap? im a rapper.

watch some of my youtube vids you can see me doing both (rapping and using the 1k)

fyi it was regular pratice for me to chop samples on the computer before importing them into the mpc. Just worked alot more efficiently that way

www.youtube.com/statixx503

as far as you only chopping 8 bars at a time. Thats a solid loop that you should be able to work with. the key to Finding longer samples to use and slice is all about just getting good at listening for what you want sample/ visualizing the beat before you make it.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

i did a quick search and came across this vid

[video=youtube;Rng9m45re1I&feature=related]video[/video]

Last edited:
Statixx hit you with some good info bro.If you want to chop effeciently and effectively use what you're comfortable with.I use the XL,and have sampled into it maybe 4 times in 3 years.(Now,the 2000,that was a different story lol)But in my experience,i listen to a track(the whole track)cause i don't want to miss anything.After i "evaluate" it i load it into Soundforge and do all of my chops there.To me it's faster,as far as chopping and there are far more effects i can use on the pc and if i make a mistake it only takes a few seconds to undo.Finally,when i get the chops and decide on the kit,i load them into MPC Editor,throw it on the cf,and start working.It may sound like alot but it's not hard really.Basically,just do what works for you.

Also,if you find yourself kind of stagnant with the feel of your songs,try different genres.It's not the workflow,it's that you've been accustomed to using the same type of song which in turn dictates your mood,feel and track.The internet is your friend.

Peace.

Last edited:
kinda defeats the purpose of having the mpc if you going back and forth from mpc to computer...just seems like itd kill the workflow to me. maybe its just me.

I have an mpc 2500. if im not sampling from a record then ill load a sample straight to the mpc via the usb port. after that, i do everything on the mpc. its faster, and if you really learn your equipment, it should be able to do everything you want it to. especially at this stage in your development. you spent too much money on it to not use it to its full potential. and im not coming at you, im just trying to be helpful. in this day and age, if i was stuck on wanting to use a computer to chop samples, id sell my mpc and just use live and audacity with an mpd or something...cost effective and similar work flows can be achieved. just my 2 cents

Thanks a lot statixxx my main issue is that I want to master the hell out of the mpc1k and then I would love to upgrade:.. So choppin on the pc woild be much more effective than internally on the mpc???? Cause my choppin internally sucks because I just use the auto chop function which reall isn't helping me at all. I peeeped ur vids and u pretty ill with it man big ups to dat. Thanks a lot for the feedback I'm really looking forward to putting it to good use .

SoulGhost thanks a lot for the binsight man I think I'm gonna start chopping on. The pc and see what I come up with but I think first I gotta learn to create programs instead of individually selecting drums hihats and etc...I have jjos1 do u feel upgrading makes a difference ???

Kontraversy nah its all about me laearning bro and I appreciate the insight

well if thats the case you should just learn to chop on your mpc. especially if you have the jj os. the jj os makes chopping extremely simple. you just select ya chop regions and go...the auto chop is even pretty decent. i dont understand why u would spend the time going back and forth

Well fl is just so easy to get started with plus I've ben using it since 2001 is user frindly but I love the natural feel of the mpc but I'm just lost when it comes to chopping and composing from chops..

Also do u use auto slice and if so what recovery and threshold settings do uuse or does it depend???

Thanks man for the info

By all means,learn to chop on the mpc but i'm just saying do what is faster and more comfortable Like i said before i prefer to chop in Soundforge because it's faster and more precise.(Timestretch a 4 second sample on the mpc and on the pc and see which one is faster.)I don't know how the effects are on the 1000 but on the 2kxl,they're not that great through the eb16.But again,there are FAR more vsts i can use on the pc,compared to the mpc and if i make a mistake,undo takes seconds.It's to each his own but if you're only using the pc to track,you're wasting it's power and capabilities.

Peace

Last edited:
Hey Soul when u use timestretch in what variables do u stretch in cause when I try the sound becomes distorted and sounds weird and choppy and ish??? Like +2/-2??? Or what

I usually just go by percentage but it really just depends on the sample.If you know the BPM of the track and want to stretch it to a certain BPM use tthis formula

Original BPM x Desired BPM / 100.

So if the BPM is 79 and you want it at 93.
79x93=7337 divided by 100=73.37

I hardly ever do that though,i just play it by ear when i TS.

Peace.

Back