What's wrong with this trap mix?

RzRbeats

Hello FP,I got a problem with mixing a trap instrumental,the problem appears as soon as I put a 808 kick on my beat,I try panning each instrument and cutting unwanted freqs but I am still having problems because my instruments sound so flat when I do that,I don't know what to do,I tried so many things but I didn't get to the sound I like,any suggestions/corrections on this mix? Any criticism is always welcome,Peace!

Hello FP,I got a problem with mixing a trap instrumental,the problem appears as soon as I put a 808 kick on my beat,I try panning each instrument and cutting unwanted freqs but I am still having problems because my instruments sound so flat when I do that,I don't know what to do,I tried so many things but I didn't get to the sound I like,any suggestions/corrections on this mix? Any criticism is always welcome,Peace!

It sounds as if the kick and 808 are fighting with each other. Maybe you can try and separate those frequencies first. If you feel the instruments sound flat reverb and delay may add some life, and maybe some saturation. The snare is fine where it's at even if you centered it as well.

i would say the sounds bodies. the brass has alot of low freq, mixed with the 808 and kick drum makes it alot muddy. there are several ways to enchance the 808. u can eq out space. thats pretty basic. whats i usually do is i put a small delay on the attack of the 808. meaning the 808 starts a bit after the kick, just about where u cant barely notice that the 808 is coming after the kick. in that way u could turn both the kick and 808's a bit louder and have a cleaner mix. and about the rest of the sounds, try messing around with reverb, stereo enchancer is also quite something to mess around with. making the sound sounding like its not in the middle but more stereo creates both space and gives it more of a ''feeling'' sort to speak.

I understand what you are saying,first of all I have to admit that I use a high-pass filter with most of my instruments (but for the bass instruments),now for the brass,if you are talking about the stabs,I cut all the freq's around 300 Hz and carved some around 4 KHz,but for the other brass instrument,I can't cut any further because it will start sounding thin,I think I will put a stereo enhancer/shaper on the master or make a submix including both brass instruments and then use a stereo shaper there,as far as regarding the reverb,I think that when I apply it (with a send most of the time),it drowns the whole mix.

Have you tried tuning your 808? Then messing around with the notes to hear which one sounds the best. EQ'ing, sidechaing are just a couple other things you can do. Just my opinion, but I would beef up that main snare. Good Luck!

Back