Whats wrong with sampling new shit?

Soundsplash you got ill beats bruh. What kinda video software are you using and where are you getting these VJ loops!? Brilliant!

I'd guess because of the loudness war... a lot of modern music is squashed/flat topped. Producers usually want uncompressed samples to work with.

As long as it sounds good I'll sample it as long as it's not too popular that 90% of the population has heard of it...i do find it easier to sample older stuff though, mainly from the 50's and 60's...

nothing ... mac miller sampled fire flies ... and the beat is sooo good, it makes him seems like a rapper

Why be in a box? **** it use ANYTHING. There are no restrictions besides the ones you set for yourself, **** what your friends say **** what anyone says about computers vs. hardware, vinyl vs. mp3, seriously the end result is ALL that matters. Just put some flavor in whatever you do & make sure its dope.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Shit at one point I tried to chop up "friday" by rebbeca black just to see if I could flip it & chop some horns or lazers or something, there was nothing. But still its always healthy to experiment & draw outside the lines. We cant have 1000's of primo & 9thwonder copycats all trying to execute the exact same format & guidline to beatmaking. That would be hella boring, now slap yourself in the face and mic that shit up for a hi-hat.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

(respect to Primo & 9thwonder)

its just kinda corny to listen to some music & hear some shit that just came out or is even still on the charts, its just kinda cheesy & its borderline biting to me ... but sometimes I think about rappers in the 80's rocking over 80's R&B hits, so pretty much just go with what works ... I don't normally sample anything within the past 10 years unless its a different genre or if its an acapella, but there's always acceptions

i like sampling old classic stuff, cause people don't know where the sample came from

That's what you think.

I still fail to see how a beat becomes that much better just because a group of people don't know what artist you sampled. 9th Wonder sampled an R.Kelly song for "Threat" off the Black Album and I still get chills everytime I hear the beat. It's better than a lot of his beats that I don't know the sample to.

Regardless though, sample what you want. People are getting way too self-conscious about who they sample for no reason. Like there's this code to sampling songs. If you wanna sample Adele like dude above did, go for it. Make it dope though. Hell if you wanna sample NSync, do that shit.

i don't think there's nothing wrong sampling new shit. some people might be afraid to do it and some might not like it. i always dig for old shit but if i run across song from 2011 and feel like sampling it then i definitely will.

the reason i dont like it is because i've never heard it done creatively. sampling new shit is for the future Jermaine Dupri's out there. ive never heard a new song chopped. its always a hook or famous portion of the song, which to me makes it seem more like a marketing technique than a creative use of sampling. its like what the black eyed peas do.

If you can make something new better go head but remember to make it sound brand new...ya dig???

Back