What Synthesizer is most recommended?

THM said:
For advanced people like us indeed it's not so important to have another synth with fx as we already have one or more fx modules (or like you said we record dry and add fx later), but for a newbie I think that's a really unmistakable requirement, don't you think ?

I actually find it harder and more limiting to use onboard FX. Anything I can manipulate in my sequencer is much easier for me, instead of using a small two inch LED to play with parameters. I don't like LEDs. I try to avoid synths that are really menu driven, even though I have a Waldorf Microwave XT, which along with it's 44 knobs, has a million menus. I personally think sequencer FX are easier and more versitile.

turn off the filters and FX of the VIrus, and see what happens...Sounds like dead Oscillators, doesnt it?
If you recommend to those Newbs to read the manual of the obfuscated Virus, i think its reasonable to ask them to get a small outboard fx unit as well (a Lexicon Lxp costs 100 Euro on Ebay and blasts the Virus Reverb out of the Water) along their easy as a softsynth programmable NL3 (almost zero Menus), every patch is clear on sight.

i guess i would beat everybody here in getting to a desired sound starting from a random patch, me using the NL3, and the other guy using a virus. and i would say i would be five times as fast as the guy on the virus...and not because i am such a talented programmer...no...because of the interface...

Last edited by a moderator:
Needle201 said:
turn off the filters and FX of the VIrus, and see what happens...Sounds like dead Oscillators, doesnt it?

Funny, this is exactly what I tell people to do with the Novation SN2, but that does sound like a dead oscillator without FX. The virus however, sounds great even dry. I think it sounds way better than the Nord Lead 2 dry. Mind you a Nord Lead 2 and a Waldorf Microwave XT are my 2 main synths, along with a Juno 106, SH101 Emu E5000 Ultra, and Emu Planet Earth. I think the Nord Lead 3 sounds just like the 2, so I don't think there can be much difference between the two. I'd like to check out the new Nord Lead 2 with the 24bit/96kHz D/A convertors. That sounds like it would be better.

Drew

YAWN

what's this crap about the nords being better than the virus ?
they are both different, the nords are great for some stuff, the virus is great for other stuff, both will give excellent results if you know how to use them...( how do I know ? I own one of each ;) )

now if you have a problem with the virus interface you have to learn how to use it, that's it, it's not rocket science, and you have to learn the nord too in order to use it well, it takes some work to get the results you want with any synth

do instant gratifcation synths exist ?

"Nord Lead 3 sounds just like the 2"
------------------
well, i think the general consensus among producers is that this is not the case, have you actually heard them?

they are both different, the nords are great for some stuff, the virus is great for other stuff, both will give excellent results if you know how to use them
-----------------
this is getting off topic..i personally dont like the virus sound that much, and i think that a NL3 beats it with the pure OSC sound, but thats not the point in this thread...

I am talking about a Newbie Synth recommendation here...And excuse me, but i dont think that the Virus is good for that...off course you will have kind of an instant success with a virus, because you can use a lot of well programmed presets, but i think the magic will fade away soon, if you dont get into the interface...

I would recommend an alesis ion to anyone starting out.

Can you guys ****really**** tell the difference between the sound of a NL2 and an access virus? I think thats bull****. Im not afraid to say that because I dont need everyone here to think I am a total expert. What are you guys saying that I cant make a silky smooth orbital lead with a virus? Eh? Are you saying that the NL2 cant do gritty growling basslines? Can I have an audio sample from someone with a virus demonstrating a patch that other synths cant do. Also can I have a NL2 audio sample that a virus or others cant do.

I guarantee I can replicate your patches almost exactly with my ion. Then well see if people can really tell the difference.

Needle201 said:
"Nord Lead 3 sounds just like the 2"
------------------
this is getting off topic..i personally dont like the virus sound that much, and i think that a NL3 beats it with the pure OSC sound, but thats not the point in this thread...

I am talking about a Newbie Synth recommendation here...And excuse me, but i dont think that the Virus is good for that...off course you will have kind of an instant success with a virus, because you can use a lot of well programmed presets, but i think the magic will fade away soon, if you dont get into the interface...

hey it's cool if you prefer the nord, I have no preference for one or the other, speaking of how the oscillators sound when I heard the nord i thought it was nothing to write home about, then I did some some work with it and my impressions changed, I just had to buy one...
but right out of the box the virus is perfect for trance (which is what the threadstarter asked) with the nord you'd to work more to get those sounds...

another tool you get with the virus is the sound diver version that you get when you buy it, if you have a problem with the interface sound diver helps a lot

I have a preferance for the NL3 sound actually, i sold my NL2 after using it for a while some yxears ago...

You are right on the Trance thing, if you want to have kind of an "instant" Trance success after buying a Synth, i would also recommend the Virus for that..;)

Maybe i am seeing this whole topic too serious..after many years and many synths, i realize more and more how important a workable interface is.

At the end its the same old sentence as always:
"Go to the store and check out which one you like the most!!!"...The only safe thing maybe....

Last edited by a moderator:
Needle201 said:
I have a preferance for the NL3 sound actually, i sold my NL2 after using it for a while some yxears ago...

You are right on the Trance thing, if you want to have kind of an "instant" Trance success after buying a Synth, i would also recommend the Virus for that..;)

Maybe i am seeing this whole topic too serious..after many years and many synths, i realize more and more how important a workable interface is.

At the end its the same old sentence as always:
"Go to the store and check out which one you like the most!!!"...The only safe thing maybe....

You're insight here is greatly appreciated, and i tend to agree with you on many points on synth interfaces. the only reason i recommend a Virus over a Nord as a first synth has soley to do with the multitimbrality between the two. The nord has 4, and the virus 16. If you were to use a Nord as you're only synth, you'd quickly find yourself running out of instruments, especially if you'r also using it as your percussion sound generator.

well, I´ve tried a NL3 and a Virus C.
I´m a complete programming moron (or close to it, a simple calculator would already start confusing me),
and both were pretty easy to work with in my opinion.
Although any clavia synth is obviously still the best synths I´ve seen if you look at the interface.
And that is thé most important thing in my eyes for a FIRST synth : the interface.
If you start with synths, and you work with a ****ty interface, usually you will start loosing interest in it gradually, and all together sell your synth after a few months or a year or so...
It happens to so many guys out there.
It happened to me about nine years ago. (I played piano since I was 7 and just got back into pianoplaying untill very recently, I never gave up music, I simply couldnt´t, but I gave up on the electronic labyrinth of synths back then) There was no internet available back then (or at least not where I came from), and I had a menudriven synth, and a ****ty manual. (Now I´ve restarted about 9 months ago, and I just love the internet for this now)
I once heard a guy on vintagesynth saying he picked his first synth purely after reading some manuals on the net, and didn´t even listen to it at all. I would never go that far, but I really see his point.
But trying to say that the clavia is better than the virus or the other way around is a) a matter of personal taste, so not really discussable and b) comparing apples with oranges.
I personally didn´t like the virus (but that´s just me) but it´s a great synth, no doubt. I loooooved the NL (again, just my taste). Also a great synth, although the virus wins when you compare both specs. But both synths will be used for different sounds, I think.
But I don´t agree on the Virus sounding good even without fx. But hey, I´m a sucker for fx. :p As I said, it´s all personal taste.
I recently tried out an andromeda, and found it´s interface pretty intuitively to work with too, even for a programming loser like me. In any case, whoever wrote above there that the virus is one of the worst modern synths if you consider it´s interface obviously never worked with 90% or more of any menudriven roland synth.
Man, I just hate roland for that :cry: (only their old stuff or the grooveboxes shouldn´t come with free aspirine, all the rest is just a pain in the.... and seriously, those manuals... written by some polish guy, after being translated from Japanese to Hebrew, Swahili and Martian respectively. And all translators were on large amounts of acid. definitely.

i also own a kawaii k1, thats hard to program...off course a virus is much better than that in terms of interface...thats really comparing apples and oranges...
but, would you really say that you never had to search something in a menu, when you wanted to change a sound in the virus completely?
for example, you have a string sound, and want to turn it into a short attack bass, but somehow you cannot get to that, because there is some strange noise or zipsound running all the time...and after searching in the menus and turning every knob for getting its position, some minutes later you finally get what you searched for...

i had this kind of things happen on almost every synth i owned. You simply dont know what happening in 80% of your selected patch, when using a patchstoring synth (Juno 60, Virus, Nova etc), compared to an old unprogrammable (minimoog, sh101 etc) ot the NL3..and thats the point...

You are right about the multitimbrality issue, FoE...
4 multi is really a little bit lame these days...

I second that. That's the biggest shortcoming of the JP-8000 too (only 2-parts multitimbral).

i listened to both and found the virus more "analog" sounding. the nord sound is very agressive and fat (6 x DSP!!!), the virus has a more "expensive" sound.

with the nord 3 you can emulate real instruments very good, with a virus you can not.

i got my virus c for one year and i'm still quite happy with it.

they are both great synths. you should try ebay too, because the euro is quite expensive now.

dries

Needle201 said:
but what a great clear interface it has (JP 8080)...;)
Yep.
And the sound is very great for a 2-oscillator VA synth - imho much better than e.g. the 3-osc Novation Supernova II...

THM said:
I second that. That's the biggest shortcoming of the JP-8000 too (only 2-parts multitimbral).

the AN1X has this limitation as well, but still in terms of sound both the JP and the AN1X are great

virus C or KC ?

im after buying my first hardware synth and the Access virus is catching my eye.Uptil now ive only used software synths and a midi controller (evolution MK-249c).....This might seem a silly question to some but if i buy the Virus C will i just be able to plug in my midicontroller to play pads etc or will i be better off getting the virus KC which has the built in keyboard....i would sooner go for the virus C as it would take up less room,,,
Also i read about updates for the OS are these easy to install for us hardware synth novices.:confused:

Back