What MPC should I get??????

RossdaBoss

TC beatsmith
I'm sure this topic has been posted on a billion times but Im just now jumpin on the train.

Getting very sick of making beats in Logic pro 7 on my computer. It's time to get an MPC. But what should I get? I'm not looking for it to be the centerpiece of my studio. I have Logic and Protools. I don't want any of the new Numark-Akai ish either (maybe the 2500 would be cool though?). So it's come down to the 2000, 2000xl, 3000, 3000LE, or 4000 (the white one, not the blue one). MPC 60's look cool but prolly a little too outdated for me.

I'm looking to make beats, program drums, sample records, chop shit up. Get that old Illmatic sound plus some new bells and whistles maybe too. What's got the best usability/functionallity? Which one's got the best FX without going overboard and just getting confusing?

:banghead:

Thanks Guys

Last edited:
If you dont like the idea of the 60 you will probably not like the 3000 either. Imo the 4000 is overkill. That said I would get a 2000 or 2000xl. I have a 2000. Good machine.

Very cool

Thats the kinda advice I was lookin for. Will most likely go for the 2000 or 2000xl after I research the 3000 a lil more.

Still not sure what the major differences are in between the 2000 and the 3000. Or if there are any major benefits to one or the other.

Last edited:
the 2500 might interest you. I have never used an MPC but just from my looks into it seems like a good one. Considered Maschine?

if you want onboard effects then the 5000 or the 2500 is your best bet. If youre a sample head like me then all of your drums are sampled and you have one shots to layer then the 2000xl is king. The best for drum sounds are the 3000 or the mpc 60. The 3000 is the same as the 60 but it has more sample time.

If youre looking for affordability the 3000 and the 60 will cost you over $1000.

The 1000 2500 and 5000 are all USB to connect to your computer. The 60 3000 2000 2000XL DO NOT COME WITH USB NOR CAN YOU BUY A USB CONNECTOR.

I have the XL. The xl has no onboard effects (though you can buy one) only high and low filtering. but if youre going to use the mpc your drums will never sound as good as they did before. It also does not come stock with 8 outputs.

You make beats on the MPC then you bounce them into Pro Tools. This also acquires a MIDI SYNC to pro tools with most mpcs. If you buy the MPC it will be the center piece of your studio as it will be the basis of what makes your beats with.

Just do your research or ask a lot of questions!

if youre stuck then i suggest you check out http://www.mpc-forums.com

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

oops i over looked the 4000 it is also USB and has a big harddrive it sthe first of the "usb generation"

I would go 3000. They are all cool and do basically the same thing, so you cant go wrong (except for maybe a 500). 2000 are the cheapest now but there are some reasons for that

Last edited:
the 3000 doesn't have a graphic waveform display, you can only use 1 program at a time (64 sounds), the machine is way too big for what it does. put the 3000 in the same category as the 60.

i'd say the 2500 is your best bet if you're willing to spring for it. 2000xl is nearly as good just a little slower with a little fewer options, but much cheaper.

Thanks to everybody that posted here! You guyz have been very helpful. I'm starting to really like this site.

Prolly gonna spring for a 2000xl, learn it use it and save up for a 3000 and 4000 later down the road!!!!!

Back