what key(s) are most hip-hop tracks in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
u have to be more specific.. some people in here don't know what the actual over all key of music means.. If you have some sheet music and it has one #.. obviously the key of G because of the order of sharps... but hip hop mostly isn't written out in sheet music.. my response is based on actual playing not sampling... Hip hop chords are based in minor.. Most written in one key and transposed into another.. the actual key of the music doesn't matter.. the Chord formation is the important part

Last edited:
i seriously think this is overanalyzing i feel a beat should be made based on how you think it up...... you cant sit there and think ......ok i wanna play this key because it is the standard for most hip hop .................so let me make my standard for most hip hop beat. If you sample.... how you gonna sample in key..... if you play the keys you should already know what key it is based on how it sounds...... and if you just wanna make a beat based on a single standard key should turn off your casio and think about a new career im just keeping it real:sing:

I think you misunderstood my response.. Were not analyzing beats, not even the standards of a beats.. Just discussing the knowledge of chords and formations ... given that there is some present.

RWest05 said:
I think you misunderstood ...... Were not analyzing beats, not even the standards of a beats.. Just discussing the knowledge of chords and formations ... given that there is some present.

thanks for the clarity there RWest.

so ... concerning sampling...yeah, if a hiphop track is in the key of C or G or something, and it is sampled and taken higher or lower with a sampler, or even just push the speed control on the deck, it is not in that key anymore ... but there are a lot of people starting to use reason. Reason can use a REX loop that goes ANY speed without changing pitch, so it is kind of interesting to me to know about what types of KEY-bases people might be using in general, as i have some tasty samples i am putting together for the FP community.

for those who dont know - the base key of a song is usually determined by either/both the starting chord, the ending chord. not always, but this is a rule of thumb.

Last edited:
to tell you the truth, i don't think the average listener is aware of keys and scales and they definitely can't identify them by sound.
as long as you keep the harmony of a scale and things sound natural you should be ok.

actual playing not sampling

lol.. will u f*cking read my post.. I said my response is not in regard to sampling and has nothing to do with sampling, thats a whole nother subject.. my response was based on the actual playing of chords through midi controllers and such.. do some readin next time
thanks for the clarity there RWest

Last edited:
nice necro post

also consider

C#minor, Db minor, D minor, Eb minor, F minor, Gb minor, Ab minor, A# minor, Bb minor, B minor

and all of

C major, C# major, Db major, D major, D# major, Eb major, E major, F major, F# major, Gb major, G major, G# major, Ab major, A major, A# major, Bb major, B major

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back