what is the real difference in the mpc 500 and 1000

foolsgold said:
The diff between mpc1000 and 500 is minimal, but

if you are just getting your first mpc, you need the 1000...

The 500 is not a toy but not a starter machine, its a great addition to existing mpcs

Didn`t you read what I wrote,the dif is FAR from minimal..
I can sit here ans type out about 40 features the mpc500 don`t have that the mpc100 has.
But will not waste my time if no one is listening..

the mpc 500 does not feel like a toy. its small but thats it , the pads are well built and it seems to be well made. the small screen doesnt bother me at all.

dropindatdirt said:
the mpc 500 does not feel like a toy. its small but thats it , the pads are well built and it seems to be well made. the small screen doesnt bother me at all.

I'm getting mine today, I cant friggin wait. I think my woman is pissed that she isn't allowed to leave the house since I need her to sign for it... oh well... :D

The balance between portability and usability made the 500 my choice hands down. Having a completely portable machine with that much power is a dream come true.

I can understand why people wouldnt like the screen. But IMHO anyone who dismisses the MPC500 as junk is either spoiled, jaded, or cant figure out how to use one. If you read the professional reviews on the 500 it echoes what a majority of users say.... it's a great, portable MPC.... about time :)

It's funny, my whole live setup now wil be devices with ****ty screens. MPC500, Korg PadKontrol, and an MC303.

^ At least the pads cannot break so fast like on the 1k, but I don't know what bugs the 500 has in comparision to the others. It's actually a cool thing I don't mind the less pads but it has no wave form that is what dissmisses the 500 for me. I could use it as a sequencer and sequence a keyboard but getting down on it without a waveform I donno. You could get for the same money a used 2kxl.

wax808 said:
I'm getting mine today, I cant friggin wait. I think my woman is pissed that she isn't allowed to leave the house since I need her to sign for it... oh well... :D

The balance between portability and usability made the 500 my choice hands down. Having a completely portable machine with that much power is a dream come true.

I can understand why people wouldnt like the screen. But IMHO anyone who dismisses the MPC500 as junk is either spoiled, jaded, or cant figure out how to use one. If you read the professional reviews on the 500 it echoes what a majority of users say.... it's a great, portable MPC.... about time :)

It's funny, my whole live setup now wil be devices with ****ty screens. MPC500, Korg PadKontrol, and an MC303.

nicely put

I am still waiting on my 128 mb expansion for my MPC500

Definatly is no toy, and yes I am sticking to my original statement

"the diff between an mpc500 and mpc1000 is pretty minimal"

You can see by looking at the chart by akai.....

what it comes down to is smaller screen, smaller size, 12 pads, not as much ports, and a bit different layout.\

make sure u upgrade the os(mine came with 1.1) mines been having problems loading projects, iv just havent got around to upgrading yet.

also, you can set each pad with a different attack and decay setting on the mpc500. anyway, its nto the machine its hte brain, so to me it all depends on whether you willing to sacrifice some stuff for portability. also, you should check out the manuals which are free to download to figure out the main differences. to me, teh most annoying part is probably editing the sample, since it doesnt have the waveform thing, but since ive been using the dr.sampler 303 for awhile, it doesnt even matter, i do it all by ear anyway.

I've never used a 500. But just off the list, i see one major problem with it. 1 midi out/in. So automatically, if you want to track it out, and use another piece of hardware, you have issues. You have to switch cables, kind of a pain. Right off, that would bug me. No spidif, that would bug me. I like using a foot switch as well, that would bug me.

This is in a "studio" enviornment though. I mean, if i needed something portable, i'm not going to be draging things around. I think it's perfect for what it's meant for, a portable mpc. My oppinion is that a 1k barely suffices as a main peice, mainly because lack of outs (it never bugged me since i used spidif), but the 500 lacks alot for a "center peice" for a studio. It's not what it's for, i understand why it's lacks it, but to me, the differences between the two peices of gear are pretty obvious, without touching one.

*B.Rich* said:
Can you send multiple outs via spdif???
No, it's just stereo so you can only track out two tracks at a time. It's time consuming but it lets you skip a D/A and an A/D conversion though.

does anyone know how long the mpc 500 pads last i got new blue ones and new sensors and i want to switch to the new pads but i feel like i should just wait til the pads die but, how long does that take i make beats everyday theyve really broken in n i like the feel after a year but i dont wanna switch to the new pads if the old ones still work does anyone have experience with this? i just dont wanna wear out my new ones b4 i wear out the old ones but im not sure exactly what worn pads feel like do they stop working or does that only have to do with the sensors im just trying to see what are some symptoms of dead pads i gues they just get thinner over time right??? i dont know if this makes sense to anyone please let me know what think thanx keep makin beats everyone!!!!!

just FYI..., there is a 1mm gap between the pad and sensor on the 500... and the OS needs some fixin, esp the threshold on the pad sensitivty..

re

in my opininon one should only buy a 500 if you HAVE to have portablitly and battery power. Their are way to many other drawbacks.

They are very different machines. The mpc 500 is portable, which is great but you do sacrifice a bit -from the display to the output level (on the 500 it is noticeably lower)

Back