What is DJing all about?

ThatBoyLuke

Whats up guys? This may sound ignant but i don't really care, that's why i'm here right? Anyways, what are you trying to do when doing a mix? I guess what i'm trying to say is that i honestly don't understand fully what DJing is. Like what is the objective when one DJ's? I have a strictly producers mind, and i'm trying to practice what I have neglected in the past, because everyone tells me DJing will hep me out a lot. I really just don't understand what is going on.

Call me ignorant or naive lol, but to me, DJing is about selecting a variety of music which would be appealing for your target audience. It involves remixing and beatmatching to transition from one song to another in a subtle manner.

When talkin about mixing i think Its all about setting or catering to a mood. whether it be a hyper party type mood, calm mellow or transition from one to another, the djs job is to controll the audience.

Alot of stuff my man, it depends a large part on the equipment and music they are doing. there scratch dj's, techno dj's, club dj's, etc. they each have their own style and their equipment can vary. I dj'd long before i started producing, as well as played guitar, it helped me produce because it taught me song structure, and gave me a better ear for mixing live.

Last edited:
Whats up guys? This may sound ignant but i don't really care, that's why i'm here right? Anyways, what are you trying to do when doing a mix? I guess what i'm trying to say is that i honestly don't understand fully what DJing is. Like what is the objective when one DJ's? I have a strictly producers mind, and i'm trying to practice what I have neglected in the past, because everyone tells me DJing will hep me out a lot. I really just don't understand what is going on.

Hi TheBoyLuke; great question thank you for sharing. I honestly am not a DJ although I would like to share my opinion on the question- I am a percussionist (7 1/2 yrs) instrumentalist (2 yrs) Song Writer, and Enthusiast (All My Life ;] ), and I think DJ -ing is all about getting the music to the people to hear so they can dance, listen in, receive a message, educate themselves, and be moved into action- what ever action that may be. From a few DJs that I know, they have been saying that the way people treat DJs now adays is disrespectful and I agree. Back in the day the party lived for the DJ, now technology and innovation has subtly tried to remove the need; yet there will always will be. To be a DJ in my eyes is to be working hard every day, doing gigs as much as possible, whether the pay is there or not is irrelevant if you love this-Being a DJ, and perfecting and enhancing your craft everyday. A DJ is an Artist and a musician at the end of the day for me, and just as important as the Rapper, Fans, the club itself as a brick and mortar.

I hope that helps =]

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

When talkin about mixing i think Its all about setting or catering to a mood. whether it be a hyper party type mood, calm mellow or transition from one to another, the djs job is to controll the audience.

I see what you mean, but I think that it is all about more of Guiding the flow of the night so everyone is happy, and less of 'control'.

A question that I've been asking myself lately. My answer: Creating an experience through music tailored specifically to the listener's context.

Last edited:
DJing is all about to make a non dancer to a dancer that is your DJing must be such like these that people start dancing and mixing is like to play songs according to the event like in wedding, wedding songs should be played.

Last edited by a moderator:
too lazy to make their own music/beats so steal other peoples work and make it one hell of a mix..

Its all about having fun and being musically creative. I like taking an instrumental and a acappella and blend the two to see what I can come up with. This is how the remix was created.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

This is another reason why I like DJing. you are not limited to music. You can also incorporate to get your point across. I did this blend mixing a classic 70's song with Biggie and put the video on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIMuFNhEQ-U

too lazy to make their own music/beats so steal other peoples work and make it one hell of a mix..

most DJ's are producers as well, vice versa.... and they don't steal, they buy or receive through a promo.... so they can then go on and play that "stolen music"
which they where so lazy to be bothered to make and promote it even more by playing it too hundreds of people... :D

Back