What I think I need to get started

bigl2369

Import Music - The ability to work with music files.
Detect Tempo - For finding the tempo of the music your working with.
Change Tempo - To change the speed of playback or to adjust the project to the tempo of the music your working with so you can work with it in a quantized grid.
Slice at Transients - Namely so you can align the first beat of music to the first beat of the first measure.
Quantized Grid - A rhythmic division for slicing and arranging.
Time Shift and Pitch Shift/Time shift - Various algorithms so you can sync your music and make your own loops
Arranging - The duplication, slicing, and arranging of clips, midi, and envelopes.
Pitch Shift - For pitch shifting a clip
Reverse - For reversing a Clip
VSTs - instruments and effects
Midi and Envelopes - the ability to import midi and automation data to cut down on the creativity workload, simple slopes you can draw yourself though
Interface - So you can record guitar and vocals

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean when you say you will draw your own envelopes?

As for the rest, just about any DAW will do all of the above.

Most daws do all of that, albeit slightly differently.
Although I think a few actually don't, lmms i think and reason probably?. He means drawing his automation with a mouse btw.
All daws allow you to use vsts, samples, midi from recording input and mouse/keyboard usage, but results vary because of different designs of course.

I don't think theres a good source for midi and automation data. I love Komplete and I love pro tools.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know if much people using that except yumid so he might have to help you out with the protools stuff.
And komplete, well just use komplete.And about the automation thing, if you are dead set on protools even after finding that out then just manually input midi automation with some hardware.

Yes pro tools will do all that easy.

Reverse/Pitch shift, etc.. is all up in the "AudioSuite" drop down and is a destruction editing mode used on audio files. Importing Midi is easy from the drop down menus.

To import automation data you goto Import Session data.

There are different types of elastic audio, Varispeed can be used to pitch shift gradually(like automation) by either slowing down or speeding up the clip to create a low or chipmunk effect. whereas audiosuite is for rendering abrupt pitch shifts.

Doing all the same stuff on midi is easier and pretty much done by just assigning which ever parameter you need to do it to an automation lane.

Anything specific just ask, dont really wanna go down the list telling you how to do each one as its all pretty basic stuff in the manual.

Last edited:
There is no large professional site where you can get midi files and automation data. That's my only complaint. I know with pro tools, komplete, an interface, a guitar, and a microphone I'd be good other than that.

Last edited:
Automation is automation, you'll have to do that manually.
If no sheets can be found, then only option is your ears or mouth.
Record your hands or record your mouth humming, and use that.

[Also maybe consider a footpedal]

Last edited:
Back