What equipment should i get

M

M0ReT0rqE

whats up everyone im looking to get some dj gear and need some help. im tryin to MIX and SCRATCH electronic music with hip hop influences and stuff like that. I want to use turntables with a laptop but with a cheaper solution than serato scratch live so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also what would be a good mixer for my style? the most i can spend on everything mentioned is $1000

oh and i was wondering if buying used turntables would be a good idea i saw some technics 1200 running for 300 a piece

thanks in advance

oh and i was wondering if buying used turntables would be a good idea i saw some technics 1200 running for 300 a piece
Yes, as long as they are in a working condition.

You will need a quality scratch mixer too.. Along the lines of Vestax PMC's, Ecler HAK's and Rane TTM's.. You might need to save up a bit though, unless you find those used Technics for a really good price..

And of course there's probably no way to get the software too and still stay under the $1000. Traktor is another software similar to Serato and I beleive it's a bit cheaper.

But you could get the tables and the mixer first, cop a battle record or two and start scratching and digging. And buy Serato or Traktor later when you have saved up some more.

Last edited:
Just save and be patient. Its better to get good shit in the beginning, that way you only buy once and if you find out it isn't for you, you can still sell it and get a good return.

Another thing to do is put gear on lay-o-way. Guitar Center has it, you just put 10% down and as long as you make payments you're straight.

***Also, with Serato's "Instant Doubles" feature, you can around with only one turntable for a while. Check YouTube for some videos about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good non serato program is Cross by mixvibes. It does what serato does at half the cost. Do some research on turntables. There are plenty good alternatives to the Technic 1200's. Don't get caught up in the 1200 hype. I've used 1200's for 25 years because there were no viable alternatives, Now there are several. I went Vestax pdx 2000's 5 years ago and sold my Technic 1200's. If I have to replace them, I will get the Numark ttxusb's. Durability of your equipment depends on you, the user and how you handle your equipment (classic 1200 arguement) Peace be with you.............Rob Mixx

I personally would say if you can get a pair of Technics in good condition, $500 is the most I'd spend on used one. PDX2000 MK2's are great as well.

For mixers, if you want to start with something cheap, I loved my American Audio Q-D5. For $180 or whatever it is, it doesn't get any better for new stuff.

im gonna be hung for this.

Midi controller.

Not just any midi controller. Numark v7. Comes with itch (i believe) then after that any mixer.

everyone in here is saying get pmc's, ttm's. Yeah, not on your budget... and definitely not for a beginner.

$100 scratch mixer will do you fine.

300 apiece for used 1200's is good if they're working properly. If you get a cheap mixer and watch YouTube vids wondering why your stuff doesn't sound good like the dj's your watching, it's because of the mixer. But I will say if you learn on crap and get good, once you move up to quality gear you will leef like Michael Jordan playing against kids!!!!

Learn the hard way first. You got around $200? You can cop a set with that amount. I started off with a pair of Gemini BD-10s, a radio shack mixer and a crate of records. Master doing simple basic cuts on it, learn to blend beats, learn how to count bars etc. Once u master the basic skratching techniques on them tables, you will learn how gentle you gotta be with the record. Once you move on to direct drives, it will feel easier. Then you can go out and appreciate the art of digging. After that, move on to the digital part.

Back