What equipment do i need to make commercial beats????

nando5561

im gettin into this music producer thing but i dont know what equipment i need .... i wanna make beats like timbaland or the neptunes or polow da don stuff like that ...... i heard about open labs but thattss wayy to expensive , also heard about the fantom. so i was wondering what equipment do i need someone hellppp meee lololll :cheers:

Last edited:
well really for starters, software if you want to go the less expensive road and a midi controller or in normmal terms a keyboard that is midi canpatable will help greatly. then maybe some moitors or speakers in normal terms

Last edited:
Get Fruity Loops. Get a midi controller. Download a TON of other people's kits. There ya go.

Isn't that what everyone else does?

you can upload sounds into keyboards that have a sampler feature built in such as the fantom, triton, motif, kurzweil k2000, to name a few. but the real fun is using the mpc 2000xl as a sampler. the analog to digital converters in the mpc 2000xl are better than the ones in most keyboards. and you can assign the samples to pads and play them in any order

and if i get a electronic keyboard that is midi compatible can i upload sounds into it???

i dont believe so, i am not positive though. I use a casio as a midi controller, even tho it really isnt because it has its own sounds and midi controllers have no sounds they just control the software but anyway i just use the casio cuz its midi ccompatible but i cant upload anything to it.

but maybe someone knows a product that allows you to load sounds on to it and play them. tho i dont understand why you would want this cuz you could just play the sounds in your software with the controller

gear isnt really important. use whatever you can get your hands on be it hardware or software. Their sound has a lot to do with the type of sounds they use and the way they program their beats. study their music spend time getting quality drums and work on your drum programming because thats what make timbaland and the neptunes beats so cool.

All you really need to use is your ears, your hands, and most importantly, your head. Everything else is just an accessory.

FL may be a good start though, work your way up from there.

I would start off with something simple. I have been tinkering with reason for about a year,and it's pretty cool, but has it's limitations

i never understood why people talk about FL as if its some random start up tool. FL is a very capable program. I do not like it but its capable of doing anything you want. Everything has its limitations though.

Everything has limitations, and that's why the right equipment can make you more creative. Before I found multi-track recorders, I had to perform songs live. But now I can harmonize with myself, do multi-takes, and other neat tricks. If I didn't like it, I could always mute out the tracks later. I used to mix sessions where there so many vocal tracks that I had to create a new session just for vocals to avoid CPU overload! So the equipment has opened up the creative doors for me and has allowed me to try out new ideas without the fear of spoiling the whole song.

what i was wondering was like if i upload sounds to a midi or a midi keyboard how does it work??? like do the sounds go on each key and get lower and higher i dont know how to say it ,,, or does the sound just sound one way >>????????????????????

The samples don't reside in the midi keyboard. You just use the keyboard to trigger those samples. The samples are in your computer or sampler. To make the samples have different pitches, you need to create a keymap. Get's complicmicated, but the Roland Fantom keyboard has a sampler built in and it is very very very easy to create a keymap in it. Not only that, but the samples still sound natural at different pitches.

i... what equipment do i need someone hellppp meee lololll :cheers:

your brain + determination + creative ideas = [insert your goal here]

Coming home from work one day this week I passed a busker playing a wooden box with hole carved in it. When I first heard it I thought I thought someone had set up a kick and snare right there on the corner. When I saw it was a box I was stunned. Not only did it sound good but the beats he's was creating were incredible.

He got some of my hard earned.

Last edited:
Back