what does placement "really" mean?

neverenoughfunk

what does placement "really" mean?

an individual get to live large for a month or two?

if we go back to the top producers of 2005 where are they today? are they still living large? do they "own" anything? or just the "term" having placements is enough "rep" for a life time?

Placement = exposure

Plus it is a resume builder. Depending on the performance of the record(or tv show/movie) AND the deal you signed you could see major $$$.

But my guess is most up and comers don't see much $$$ for their placement.

Placement = exposure

Plus it is a resume builder. Depending on the performance of the record(or tv show/movie) AND the deal you signed you could see major $$$.

But my guess is most up and comers don't see much $$$ for their placement.

what has happen to the producers from 2005 that got placement... where is their exposure? where are they at today? how long does exposure last?

living large for a month or two is for people who dont have any money sense.
Outside of that. If your getting your music to reach artist then your doing better than most that's for sure.
A placement is a part of a body of work slated for release for public consumption. Some get there tomatoes placed in a whopper, some get a beat used by an artist, others get to do the cover art etc.

I'm sure you know all that but wondering what happens when a producer places a beat on a project isn't a huge deal if the beat only produces a few thousand dollars (which is about whats going on right now). But the feeling of being on something as widespread as a major released album must feel great... High on the emotional hog I guess. Cause there's so much music out there you better be everywhere like 9th Wonder or your no more then a one beat wonder.

Last edited:
a placement can mean nothing if you don't capitalize on it.
most people that finally get that placement put all their energy in getting another and miss the point.

do you have any idea how easy it gets to explain to independent and local artist why you charge X amount of money for a beat for them when you can follow it up with "hey, check my credits man, i did this song with [enter succesful artist name here].
its the same thing nike does to make you buy lebron's shoes and why they wouldn't be able to sell you "jimmy the ball-boy"s sneakers. name recognition.

you make of it what you want.

You get to put it on your resume.

So when people look at what you've done you can say that your music made through the sea of other beatmakers and was chosen by a reputable artist.

^^^^ but... now it seems that artists are just going for the cheapest usable beat.

G Malone said on Foxxhole radio that there are so many people making beats that he tells guys $500 take it or leave it because somebody is going to take it. $500 could mean a new piece of gear for some dude or keeping his lights turned on.

So a placement could look like this...

"Where have you worked"

Answer 1: Manager at McDonalds
Answer 2: Microsoft Software Engineer

One looks more impressive even though the people may have went to the same college... I don't think placements expire because you can't take them away. So if you made Can't Touch This for MC Hammer, you're still the Can't Touch This guy... 10 years later. It's like when people were saying Quincy Jones' accomplishments were old... they were still credible accomplishments.

... but if you only have one placement or just mixtape placements... you probably shouldn't look down your nose at others.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
a placement is nothing more than an ego booster and a way to get free stuff and favors from other producers

honestly if its not something that charts, or on an album that is sold in stores or a popular artist it really doesnt mean anything. .money wise, or status wise

Last edited:
A placement doesn't necesarily equates To A Huge Sum of Money, it is as other people have stated something that you can have to your credit to generate more work for you down the future. it is the continuation of placements that keeps you in a cycle, when you think of it as more as a job ex: get a placement or starve. Although it doesn't have to be that way if you invest in a wide area of music for instance not just producing but song writing, not just songwriting but engineering, not just tech but management.

Tony Rich said he wrote a Boyz II Men song and he was getting $0.08 per CD sale... the CD sold 20 million....

x 0.08

He said he didn't have to work for a few years... and sat at home.

I think most beat sellers just get paid flat out now a days though so that story is probably unlikely for a person selling beats.

... switch to song writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back