What Do You Even Need An Mpc For??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phlexter said:
MOst of THem are always buying the newest version of the mpc like the 4000.
Most of then dont ****ing care about mopney they have enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAJ_qtgWzsY
Look at them, why are they using an MPC together with Reason, when they can seuqence inside reason alone ?
ITS THE QUNATIZATION !!!!!

Proof !

Case closed !

Peace
I can no longer tolerate discussion of such an ignorant manor. What the f**k was their drums doing that is only programmed into an MPC? It's especially a lame discussion when they were just using it to control drums in reason.

1st you say "it's the sound", now it's "the quantization". Quantization is a simple binary that runs alongside midi. It's the same on Triton, Pro Tools, Sonar, MPC, every digital workstation that uses midi.

And then you call that proof? I hope you're like 12. I won't entertain the thought that any grown man would get into a discussion involving technicalities and innerworkings of a program without 1st knowing all the FACTS.

Most people who own reason and run it alongside hardware use reason for what it was originally intended to be. A virtual sound rack module. I do the same, but I can hook a casio keyboard, MPC, MC-303 whatever up to it and get the exact same basic azz drumloop they're pushing out.

What's sad is, I defend the fact an MPC has a following and is preferred for music production by some and they have the right to use it. Hell, i own one!!! But at the same time, it's just a preference. Everything else on the market with sampling and sequencing capabilities can do the exact same thing.

Sqito said:
Did I already mention that I still use my old computer to sample stuff?
My old Amiga 1200? With its ****ty 8 bit sampling sound processor?
Why? Because I KNOW it sounds gritty. Not because I "believe" it's somehow superior. ;)
Yeah, but apparently that's not the same "gritty" you better go get you an MPC, but make sure not to get anything too new, they don't go below 16 bit. I'm not sure if my 2000XL goes below 16 bit, an mine has a 3.5 drive on it, lol.

Last edited:
As I said earlier in the thread, the quantize settings is basically the same in every sequencer. It's just the (slightly inaccurate) clock in the older samplers (also in older MPCs) that cause the sloppyness that everybody seems to love (I love it too but I actually prefer to just use no quantization at all if I want a sloppy feel)

As told before: MIDI inaccurancy moves in fractions of millisecond timeframes. And this inaccurancy regards only Windows machines....

Phlexter said:
HUGE BULL**** !
hes right tho lol. the mpc is not just some super special piece of gear. Cats in here are pumpin out a lot of bull****. The mpcs especially the newer ones aren't superior to anything else. However some people prefer the workflow and the all in one box style of working. I myself at times have wanted a mpc just because having my computer (even my laptop) and my mpd take up a lot more space than a mpc would. Its all about what works for u in the end

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
I can no longer tolerate discussion of such an ignorant manor. What the f**k was their drums doing that is only programmed into an MPC? It's especially a lame discussion when they were just using it to control drums in reason.

1st you say "it's the sound", now it's "the quantization". Quantization is a simple binary that runs alongside midi. It's the same on Triton, Pro Tools, Sonar, MPC, every digital workstation that uses midi.

And then you call that proof? I hope you're like 12. I won't entertain the thought that any grown man would get into a discussion involving technicalities and innerworkings of a program without 1st knowing all the FACTS.

Most people who own reason and run it alongside hardware use reason for what it was originally intended to be. A virtual sound rack module. I do the same, but I can hook a casio keyboard, MPC, MC-303 whatever up to it and get the exact same basic azz drumloop they're pushing out.

What's sad is, I defend the fact an MPC has a following and is preferred for music production by some and they have the right to use it. Hell, i own one!!! But at the same time, it's just a preference. Everything else on the market with sampling and sequencing capabilities can do the exact same thing.

Yeah, but apparently that's not the same "gritty" you better go get you an MPC, but make sure not to get anything too new, they don't go below 16 bit. I'm not sure if my 2000XL goes below 16 bit, an mine has a 3.5 drive on it, lol.

Man try to read my posts correctly, and you will never see anithing about the sound. To it is and will alway be the QUANTIZATION.
Dont get personal man, thats for faggots. I guess you must be like 40 still dreamin of makin it .... LOL
By the way, everybody who is talkin **** like the one above.
Quantize a beat in Reason with normal settings, and then make the same drumloop or beat in your MPC with the reular 16th quantize.
You are gonna hear A HUGE difference.
And for the two guys on the video, tell then why arent they sequenceing in Reason directly.
No clue huh ?
I guess they didnt know there's a sequencer in Reason and bought the 1000 for 800 $ !!

Rediculous !!!

Phlexter said:
Man try to read my posts correctly, and you will never see anithing about the sound. To it is and will alway be the QUANTIZATION.
Dont get personal man, thats for faggots. I guess you must be like 40 still dreamin of makin it .... LOL
By the way, everybody who is talkin **** like the one above.
Quantize a beat in Reason with normal settings, and then make the same drumloop or beat in your MPC with the reular 16th quantize.
And for the two guys on the video, tell then why arent they sequenceing in Reason directly.
No clue huh ?
I guess they didnt know there's a sequencer in Reason and bought the 1000 for 800 $ !!

Rediculous !!!
I didn't consider my statements personal...You wanna get personal? I'm actually 27, went on tour with Raekwon when i was 15-16, been signed to 2 major labels, and I'm currently living comfortably off music to the point most people around me consider me "successful" and I'm told at least twice a day "I've made it". I don't listen to that tho. I'm just another nobody.

Let's get more personal. You scream about the quantizing function like you even need it when every one of you beats contain the same boring boom kack pattern. Maybe you should put more emphasis on sound being that yours is dry and nomatter what you use, it sounds like it came off a $99 Casio.

I was just having a common conversation, that somehow translated over to you thinking it's all about you. When I said "1st sound, now quantization" that was a reference to the entire defence of MPCs on this issue. Personally, I think you're the one getting emotional and personal, that's a trait often shown when people realize their arguments are in vain.

As for the 2 dudes in the video and why they're using the MPC...I can find a video of Just Blaze not using his MPC and create the same B.S. you consider "fact". which holds more status, dem' 2 dudes or blaze? Lol. this is just stupid.

Last edited:
I didn't consider my statements personal...You wanna get personal? I'm actually 27, went on tour with Raekwon when i was 15-16, and I'm currently living comfortably off music to the point most people around me consider me "successful" and I'm told at least twice a day "I've made it". I don't listen to that tho. I'm just another nobody.

Let's get more personal. You scream about quantizing function like you even need them when every one of you beats contain the same boring boom kack pattern. Maybe you should put more emphasis on sound being that yours is dry and nomatter what you use, it sounds like it came off a $99 Casio.

I was just having a common conversation, that somehow translated over to you thinking it's all about you. When I said "1st sound nowquantization" that was a reference to the entire defence of MPCs on this issue. Personally, I think you're the one getting emotional and personal, that's a trait often shown when people realize their argument in vain.

As for the 2 dudes in the video and why they're using the MPC...I can find a video of Just Blaze not using his MPC and create the same B.S. you consider "fact". which holds more status, dem 2 dudes or blaze? Lol. this is just stupid.
lets take this justblaze thing a step farther. Timbaland does not use a mpc and his timing is crazy, The neptunes dont use a mpc they have good timing on their records and their beats also knock just as hard as any mpc beat. Hell cats like Kanye make beats that don't knock hard at all and he has a mpc. Mannie Fresh has dope timing and his beats knock and he uses a sp1200. Gear is irrelevant when it comes to timing anyone can make a sloppy timed track. Stop relying on the computer to create the feel for your music. Turn off the quantize and get crackin

As for the 2 dudes in the video and why they're using the MPC...I can find a video of Just Blaze not using his MPC and create the same B.S. you consider "fact". which holds more status, dem' 2 dudes or blaze? Lol. this is just stupid.

Please do that! I am a big JB fan and I wanna see more post-MPC videos of him, lol.

Phlexter said:

!!!

This is some what true because i had tryed this test with reason,fruity loops,logic and then the mpc, now im not one who started with a mpc i was just persuaded in to using one by a die hard mpc user(my engineer)but i kind of get your drift infact i think the understanding of quantize and groove is something that can only be defined or favored by those of us who actually take these thing's in to consideration when it's time for making user,since to the average listener these thing's dont really apply in the least term's and to the average newbie beatmaker(like the topic starter)there are essential basics to music that is alway's a misconception the idea is if you can make a beat that's all that count's ,well sure thats the first thing that count's but understanding how far what your using can take you when it comes to bring out the kind of beat's you want is key ,but i agree i am not able to get the rhythm and feel out of fruity loop's,reason,or logic that i can with the mpc ,but with some messing around i can get a nice groove but its very time consuming and still not quite right on the dollar so that can take away from your creative process which lead's to the mpc workflow which start's the argument all over,but i look at it like this if you never messed with one before then dont judge it until you do because most people knock thing's that they cant afford or are just intimidated by especially when it take a litte more to make music with the hands then it does with step grid's and boxe's. I still have to use what i have now but im certainly considering the mpc conversion for my home use.

Dang ya'll REALLY arguing...LOL

Lame.

You buy an MPC because you want one.

I can out swing any dude with an MPC on these forums.

With a E-Mu Xboard 49 and Reason 3.

Wanna battle?

Last edited by a moderator:
i use a computer too make beats. my first piece of equipment was an mpc. i go over my cousins house and use the mpc i gave him too make beats all the time. there is nothing magic about an mpc. my beats sound the same no matter what i use. i think its gonna take some producer too just come along and just kill the game with software for some of you too see the light.

^^^Dang, My cousin has my MPC too....

Wierd....guess we're both missing out on quantizing, huh?

*dies* LOL

I guess the MPC'ers argument is that it's *subconsciously* easier to swing when you tappin' pads.

Than pluggin in kicks and snares on FL, using Redrum and etc..

Which I can agree, ON THAT NOTE, you're adding more *human factor* to the beat.

When you take a mouse and click. All *personality* in the pattern is GONE.

BUT.

Some of us program drums right off the keyboard. Allows for varying dynamics, and the *human factor*.

But input quantize ALWAYS have to be off for this work.

I think this thread needs to be closed :) AFTER Deranged posts up some post-MPC Just Blaze videos haha. Or he could pm them to me ;)

^^^Dang, My cousin has my MPC too....

Wierd....guess we're both missing out on quantizing, huh?

that is weird. after i tryed out the same sounds on the mpc and the computer it was a wrap for me. i heard about software a while ago but i thought the idea of making beats on a cpu was silly until i tried it. i admit banging on the pads is kinda fun but i just dig software now. i thought about taking it back a few times lol!! i had to flip a lot of zips too get that mpc!!

clarhck5 said:
i use a computer too make beats. my first piece of equipment was an mpc. i go over my cousins house and use the mpc i gave him too make beats all the time. there is nothing magic about an mpc. my beats sound the same no matter what i use. i think its gonna take some producer too just come along and just kill the game with software for some of you too see the light.
isnt just blaze already doin that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back