What Do Underground Studios Look Like in China?

labdummy

@LabDummy
Check out the gallery: What Do Underground Studios Look Like in China? | LabDummy

Inner Spaces is a web-released photo documentary by freelance photographer, Benoit Florencon that exposes what lies beneath the streets of Shanghai; from bustling pedestrian streets and polluted spaces comes the pure form of creativity in music by the city’s underground music producers and MCs. Presented through a set of intimate photographs and told through added quotes, the exhibition works to show these artist in their own spaces, and tells their tale of the process and struggle they endure in order to shape what is the musical landscape of the city today. Adding to the effect of intimacy, Benoit captures each producer and MC within their own studio — a scene less known by their audience and more personal to the artist — and interviews them for that chosen quote to represent their personality. A glimpse into their own environment, Inner Spaces lifts the heavy veil to show in true form what Shanghai has to offer in music.

Very cool. Gotta love that setup on the balcony. But there were a couple very static, all-white studios. I don't think I like the "lab" looking like an actual lab.

I saw a doc about French hip hop and beatmakers, and a lot of them were set up in abandon spots, and off the wall areas. Really cool stuff that reminded me of this.

I saw a doc about French hip hop and beatmakers, and a lot of them were set up in abandon spots, and off the wall areas. Really cool stuff that reminded me of this.

That sounds beautiful. Do you have a link to the vid? Would love to post it up

That sounds beautiful. Do you have a link to the vid? Would love to post it up

I believe it was a Vice doc, can't remember the name. But it should be on youtube. Search "French" I'd guess in Vice's youtube page.

"Meet France's Toughest Rappers"?

Yep. I think my mind tied in 2 documentaries, that one is cool, it has cool spots where these guys record and all that. But there is another one that is more focused on beat makers than rappers, I'll have to look around to find the name.

Yep. I think my mind tied in 2 documentaries, that one is cool, it has cool spots where these guys record and all that. But there is another one that is more focused on beat makers than rappers, I'll have to look around to find the name.

It's gotta be this one...

0886970668491.jpg

Back