What do I Need to Start Producing Electronic Music and Hip Hop Beats?

Maxcutch

I have messed around in fl and made a few beats and songs but I wanna improve the quality of them. I have a hp envy dv7 notebook with fl studio installed. What are some other essentials that I should have? Do I need a DAC or an external sound card? I would like to spend less than $300 if possible.

A DAC or an audio interface (ie. external soundcard) won't really do anything in regards to the quality, but they'll allow you the possibility to listen better. You'll need a set of monitor speakers and/or a good pair of headphones as well.

Study and acquire good pieces of equipment AND learn how to create the sounds that you're imagining. The intelligence behind how your systems work, how your equipment works, and how your songs are written is the secret. :) Like any trade, learn, grow, ...and share your knowledge with us.. We'll do the same. :)

Last edited:
You have FL Studio, and a laptop, so I will assume that you have a MIDI keyboard? As already mentioned, you will need an audio interface, make sure that the one you choose is compatible with your version of Windows, and make sure you have the necessary drivers. You may have to download ASIO 4 all as a driver, it's been awhile since I used a PC for beats. A great pair of headphones would be necessary as well, I recommend those over monitors for starting out. $300 budget:

Presonus Audiobox
Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones
Alesis V25 MIDI keyboard

That'll put you at about $317, but as you already have FL Studio, that's the cheapest functional setup.

If i were you I'd buy a cheap portable midi keyboard and cheap audio interface. You can use regular headphones for now. Then focus on getting good with FL Studio. Once you're fully addicted / committed you can think about getting better sounds (sample libraries, synths, etc.) and maybe a pair of studio monitors. Be careful with sample libraries and big synths like Omnisphere because they might require a better computer or better hard drives.

Back