What do Hip-Hop fans want to hear nowadays? What kind of lyrical content/beats?

InspectahEX

To all hip-hop fans, young and old... I want opinions

What kind of content are you attracted to nowadays? As far as lyrical and musical content goes? Please try not to answer along the lines of 'real' or 'fake'

I'll throw some things out there...

Music:
Dance type beats?
Electronic type?
Sample based type beats?
More acoustic type beats?
Heavy Bass?
New but undiscovered type of sound?
Something completely different?

Lyrics:
Real Life experiences?
The Streets?
World Issues?
Personal Issues?
The Club/NightLife?
Women/Money/Cars and appealing things?
Abstract type of lyrics?
Flow/Rhyme scheme/Metaphors?

What are YOU looking for in Hip-Hop Music?

Enjoying D4 right now. Not even a Lil Wayne fan either. Very entertaining right about now.

Just anything entertaining. I can't say what I like....I know what I don't like though.

i want to hear clever, thoughtful lyrics over grimey or soulful beats. and by clever i don't mean pretentious underground blowhards or some douchebag reading some bullshit poetry that only hardly makes sense to himself.

Last edited:
Well what is entertaining to you? Appreciate the feedback

I'll use Lil Wayne for example.....a person can not say he is not entertaining or he is wack. A person can not like Lil Wayne for a lot of reasons. And in today's world it's easier to find reason not to like an artist. People don't like R. Kelly........but thy can't say he is not entertaining. Future can't sing or rap lyrically....but people can't say he is not entertaining. But.....today people use what they don't lke about a person or what they have done that they don't like against their entertaining abilities. People say Lil Wayne is the best rapper ever.......o.k........that doesn't mean to say he is wack and compare him to who is better. But people will used that as an excuse to not like anything he does......it's stupid to me. Or say YMCM are talentless....or say Rick Ross can't rap he sucks.....naw man just say that you don't like him personally for the stuff you hate him for. People shit on commercial artist just cause......they really have no reason.

What do I find entertaining? IDK...hard to answer. Like I said though....I know what I don't like. I can easily answer the question with rappers who rap like they have something to say....even if they ain't talking about nothing. Shit man.....I would enjoy captain caveman spitting.

What I don't like? Well.....I don't like cry babies. Always crying about the industry and the state of the rap game....I mean wow........I click play on the music and hearing some dude complaining. Shit man......if you going to complain on a rap song....talk about these transsexuals getting booty implants and fake pussies...and these dudes aint's caring....and rap it like you mean the shit....forget all of that extra lyrical shit when speaking on the subject. Ever been on the bus and some lame dude starts a convo with you on a topic you don't care about...and his voice is annoying as hell...and he is rambling all of these big words and shit....this ain't CNN..stop talking to me. It's the same with rap music. Dudes who never took speech classes or spoke in front of people feel brave pushing record and talking about stuff people care less to hear. Oh I'm suppose to support it because he is keeping it real or talking about a real issue? Sound like he scared on the mic even when he is agressive. And they be the same people complaining about the state of hip hop and shit....them type of dudes. I'm suppose to be entertained by that?

Beats? Man it's hard to explain. I like all kinds of beats. I love music. A dude on the electric guitar riffin....bass player getting funky with his face tore up. Visualizing a sweaty ass atmosphere. I love that boom. I love that ghetto home mane shit. I love that fruity loop shit.

Dude.....I can listen to this all day. Beat and all. I wouldn't care if it came out yesterday.

I listen to C4......and fiended to hear

I like that shit. Bad ass.

Last edited:
First of all let me say this: Hip Hop is dead commercially but, rap is still alive for now. I say this because Hip Hop was first cultivated as a lifestyle. You can't put Hip Hop in a box. It is much more than music. The shit we listen to today is Rap. Don't get me wrong, I love Rap music. But even that is slowly coming to an end. Hip Hop at it's humble beginnings was a world people created to escape from the music of that time, Disco, which did not represent what life was about to them. Now this generation and the next has to take on the task of re-inventing Hip Hop. Reason being is that each and every commercial artist out does not represent what is really going on in life as we know it. Nobody I know lives the lifestyles that these artists portray in their music. Even Nas, the originator of the phrase "Hip Hop is Dead" has failed in my eyes. Yeah he may have done an excellent album with Damien Marley but Life is Good is bad at best. Life in America, at least to 99% of us is bad, very bad indeed. To hell with Rick Ross, 2 Chainz, Li'l Wayne, Kanye West and any rapper that has lost their way to make sales. And shame on producers who continue to make these seizure inducing beats that are far from flattering or for that matter challenging to reproduce. The only relevant person that I still have respect for in music is Dr. Dre. At least he has the integrity to refuse releasing an album until it is perfect. Every one else is too busy copying J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League or Hit boy to have integrity.

Now to finally answer the question about what I want to hear. I want to hear collaborations that make sense. I want to hear someone other than Lupe Fiasco (who I am a big fan of) make an album that sticks to the concept. Speaking of albums, I want to hear an album that I don't have to skip through.
I enjoy all forms of Hip Hop/Rap. But overall I enjoy lyrical and conscious rappers like Jay Electronica. I like original stories, rhyme schemes and delivery. On the production side, I love good sample records like 9th wonder and head knockers like Dr. Dre.
I could go on forever about what I think music should sound like. But as long as the powers that be have control it will never happen (at least commercially).

I want to hear music that I will be able to still enjoy 20 years from now. With all the weird frequencies jumping out at people now, I doubt that fans of today's garbage will have the hearing range to enjoy it in the decades to come.

Hi hats and Bass drums dominate today's production. Most of the shit that's out is catchy but that's about it. No one wants to drop classics any more. You can't blame the kids, they were born listening to this shit. My hope is that after the major labels finally collapse, that independent artists redevelop their independent though process. No more collabs just for the hell of it. I miss the A Tribe Called Quest, Leaders of the New School type of collaborations that were organic and flowed right. Not these Rick Ross and Mary J. Blidge or J. Cole and Missy Elliot type of deals.

Now on the business side of things, I can't be mad at certain artists moves. Nicki Minaj for example has had to deal with a huge backlash after transitioning to pop. I would much rather hear Starships than Bees in the Trap. It might not be Hip Hop to you but it is to me. One of the most important songs in Hip Hop history wasn't even by a rap artist, it was Caught up in the Rapture by Blondie. Timbaland said it years ago, pop is the new Hip Hop. Certain pop tracks have that head nod factor that rap has lost. To me LMFAO's Party Rock was more Hip Hop than Rick Ross' I'm not a star. I find excess easier to swallow than just plain ignorance and violence. Some people claim they just like the beat but don't necessarily pay attention to the lyrics. Well if that's the case, just download the damn instrumental. But, what I want to hear most of all is the voice of the people speaking out against bull shit in the industry. That would be music to my ears.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Personally its all about a dope sample or melody with some ill lyricism, doesnt matter whats bein said exactly but how its said...

That's the problem with Hip Hop fans today. Previous generations held artists accountable for their lyrics and style. We ran artists like Li'l Zane, Dem Franchise Boyz, Memphis Bleek as well as others out of Hip Hop. By we I mean real fans. So you mean to tell me that if Eminem came out with a record saying **** black people featuring KKK members in the video, you wouldn't mind as long as his flow was on point? SMH shoot yourself in the face!

I think hip hop has got to the point where it needs to be split up between young (16-25) and mature (26-40+). At 40 this month all the rap i hear now is juvenile and childish,im at the point where im tired of songs talking about tramps,the dope game,cars,how hard you are etc.. Im looking for some real life music right now.

Last edited:
So for me there are many sides to s piece of music that can impress me that much that I'd actually go to the store and cop the cd.
For me a music piece consists of three things:
1. the Artists spoken words (including the quality of the lyrics, sound of the artists voice as well as the way he or she pronounces the lyrics)
2. the Producers beat (including the melody, the structure as well as the sound which is based on a good instrument decision and a good mixing and mastering9
3. the cover- /artwork to the track or the album

If one of these individual things is overwhelming, it can fascinate me as much as that I would consider a music piece as "good/great" or whatever positive adjective you'd like to use to describe it.

Well now, let's break these three individual aspects down.

Frist of all: the Artists spoken words

Herefor I want to bring some examples to the table.
I just bought the new Slaughterhouse Album.
On there is a track called "Goodbye".
If we'd now forget the beat and just focus on the lyrics, I for myself regard the lines of a masterpiece.
Let me tell you why I think so.
Joe Budden as well as Crooked I tear their heart out within the two first verses, rapping about very very private and intimate experienced that have been on their mind. And they do so in rhymes, which is very fascinating to me since I stopped to realize that I'm listening to a rap track that rhymes as it's supposed to. I rathered listend to the meaning of the words, like i was listening to my grandfather telling me an old story.
I could listen to the track, focusing on the lyrics and afterwards I could tell you what they rapped about, but I couldn't tell you anything about the beat that was used to underline the words, since I didn't pay attention to that.
I would listen to the track a second time just actually hear and recognize the adlibs that make the lyrics sound even better.

Well know let's put the focus on the beat.

Herefor I want to refer to Young Jeezy's - Amazing.
I played the song over and over, listening to jeezy's voice, enjoying the amazing style he pronounced the words that all in all don't seem to have a deeper meaning.
It might seam strange but the words "If you can take a lot of dick I can talk a lot of shit" he said on that track might be regarded as stupid as hell if anybody would have said them, but in my opinion jeezys voice and his style of pronouciation jsut make this 'dumb' lyrics great.
You easily lipsync to this part cause you FEEL that Jeezy has fun rapping on the beat.
And that is an important aspect that makes me feel comfortable with track.

However, that is not what I wanted to point out about this song.
What I actually want to say is that I listened to this song for months until I first put my focus on the beat.
Herfor I believe you have to be a producer or have to played an instrument at some point in your life.
Cause I recognized an Instrument I never heared before on there.
And it was than that Ithe song seemed as brand new to me. It was like an entire whole new track to me.

In case the beat is dope as hell, but the lyrics sound horrible I might not buy the cd, but I would definitely see the musical potential behind the music piece.
I like it when producers take new ways. Even though I enjoy listening to those 'Maybach Music Beats' they seem very old to me.
Like I know the beat even before listening to the track.
For example I enjoy listening to J. Cole beats since I brought a whole new drum sound to hip hop.
It always differentiates from other songs.
Moreover, I adore Kane Beatz beats. Because he often collabs with Ashanti "The Mad Violinist" Floyd. It is something really new to hip.hop that a violonist records stuff in the studio and still manages to give the artist enough space to be creative on the beat.
I like the way Kane Beatz mixes his songs.
There is no one else that uses the room in the headphones as perfectly as him. And every instrument sounds great.

So in a nutshell I love to hear a producer try somehting new.
'Niggas in Paris' has a crazy beat, but it needed K. West and Jay-Z to put the public focus on such a spaced out beat.
I'm not sure it would be that big right now, if a local rapper would have used the track.
Nowadays it's like everything the big ones do is considered interesting and creative while other unknown artist would be insulted for being that uncommercial.

Last but not leats I want to put the focus on the artwork to a track.

I know of that 2 Chainz single 'No Lie'. I think it's a very average song, however the coverart is dope as hell as I think.
Others might think another way but still this coverartwork made me remember the track and made me talk about it.
And think about 2 Chainz Ablbum 'Based on a TRU Story'. You can think of 2 Chainz as you want, you can hate him or like him but the album artwork should be considered as a great idea.

So that's what I want to see/hear:

Lyrics telling stories that are heartfelt and which are pronounced that way, too.
The Voice should grab the listener and take him or her with it. Like motivate to lipsync or dance and stuff.

A beat that nearly overwhelms me with incredible melodies.
A mix that even gives me the opportunity to pay attention to every aspect of the beat.

And an artwork that puts some visuals to the sounds.

-The Beatsmyth

2012 has been a great year for good music in hip hop. Regardless of record sells and whatever. As I think back......wow man I actually got a lot of new favorite songs to go along with the collection of classics and favs from back in the day.

Two very new favorites.

Last edited:
Hip Hop/ Rap music is now pushing 40. So it's no wonder that it's going through a mid-life crisis. I expect thing to return to a more natural order in about 3 to 5 years time. That isn't to say that there aren't any great artists and producers out right now, they just aren't topping the charts like they would have been in the Golden Era of Hip Hop. Riff Raff gets more publicity that Jay Electronica. I'm just so damn tired of fans saying they like HOW a rapper says something and doesn't hold them accountable for WHAT they say. You only get what you ask for. Cars dont have seat belts because the companies wanted to use them, people demanded they put them in vehicles. I would much rather listen to the next 2pac than the next MC Hammer. Wake the hell up people.

Back