What determines a "pop" or "radio-ready" production?

prodeucer

Obviously the arrangement does matter, but also production-wise. I think it has to sound "big" and attention-catching for radio to "like it". Regarding hip hop production, I noticed Wu Tang Clang do not have that "big" production sound (more low fi, intentionally I suppose) compared to the P. Diddy hip hop artists that were able to cross over to the pop charts (Maze, Biggie, etc.) and the Criss Cross stuff, etc.

Obviously the arrangement does matter, but also production-wise. I think it has to sound "big" and attention-catching for radio to "like it". Regarding hip hop production, I noticed Wu Tang Clang do not have that "big" production sound (more low fi, intentionally I suppose) compared to the P. Diddy hip hop artists that were able to cross over to the pop charts (Maze, Biggie, etc.) and the Criss Cross stuff, etc.

It has to sound cool.

Wu-Tangs stuff was dope and it was successful because people were ready and accepting of intelligent music on the radio still. I don't even think anything of that caliber would ever get radio play on any corporate station these days.

If you want commercial success today, it usually sounds like a bunch of talentless, imbecilic mannequins collaborated to write it and crap out the production? Stress the accent on lyrics being 1st grade comprehension or lesser. Think little wayne or someone with a severe head injury.

For me, I'd determine this by seeing if whatever track I'm working on seamlessly fits with whatever is popular in the genre that I was interested in. For that I might just make a playlist with a bunch of popular songs and my song and try to objectively determine if it fits. You can also get the opinion of your peers & other listeners.

Back