What are the reasons white rappers have always been percepted as corny ?

O

OliverPractice

I can think of osme myself but no real reason. The main reason in my head is the black vs white thing historicaly in the USA and therefore whites doing music form black culture being percived as ...... bad / corny. Things changed a lot but it's still at the point I literary want to start a duo with a black guy to not feel stupid bout myself on stage as white dude who also raps in his music. My music is going to be a mix, I just have osngs writen not recorded and produced but there's about 35% rap in it and it's simply cause I like to write raps, they're good.

When you think about it, being white and rapping is pretty much the only thing in the entire world where if 1 race does something that is considered culture of another race does, it is very controversial. No matter what esle you would do that was not originaly part of your culture there wouldn't be as nearly of a big "thing" as if you rap and are caucassian. Caucassian aka whitey ;/ .

Maybe the thing is that it often could feel liek someone white is pretending ot have the life of someone black, like hey you didn't go trough what we did but nah if someone is high class suburbs black and they rap = no problem, even if they are black from another continent if they rap in english it's cool, nothing unusual. But whites is just like "oh oh this guy is -white- he raps - oook. In 2012 it's way way different but you can't really erase the past. Before I deleted my facebook I had tons of afor americans and they all been very cool with me also liking rap, like not 1 instance of negativity.

I guess if I was in the USA i could test it first hand and be like ok so it is cool, like whatever, it's just MY music and my musical influences I can do what I like. But bieng in a random ass country in europe I'm thinking I should just get a black dude form the USA, it's better.

I already had 1 guy to form a duo with, networking has become easy to me, but lol it turned out he was the typical hood dude, he was really nice, but his music was lyricaly kinda like pac, it wouldn't fit togehter at all, he even still sold drugs, or sells better said. I mena he is gonna rap bout his strugels the system and street life and I'll do what on the song ....

I personaly don't feel bad bout being white and including rap in my music at all, but being on stage and rapping as white dude, dunno bout that. Once I did a karaoke show, it was more like a singing competition, noone read the screen lyrics and people really could sing msotly, and 1 of the 2 songs I did was "Umbrella" I didn't even think nothing bout the first part f Jay rappin, so the beat starts and I'm like ok let's go, I didn't give it 0 tough that it was a rap intro, I'm bout to rap - look into the crowd and change my mind instantly, well that place was about croatian folk music anyways, I was outa place. Last place for me .

I type reckelss, sorry for typos of any.

it aint about a white or black thing. its music. if its good its good. if its corny its corny. if its wack its wack. theres no race or color to music. its for the people. im filipino and i make music about what i know. it depends on what you speaking on. just keep it real with yourself on what youre talkin about and theres somebody out there thatll hear it and relate. just be confident in what you do. if you ever have any doubts about being a white rapper just think about the beastie boys and eminem one of the greatest rap group and rapper in music history.

edit: check out this video tho:

American Cream Team-It's Not A Game - YouTube

you gotta watch this movie and hear what raekwon was talkin bout before he started rappin. i cant find the scene tho but its right before that video up there. by the way the movie is titled black and white.

Last edited:
well I know it's right to be white and rap, obviously, but being on stage, nah actualy it's just not being from an area where people listen to english speaking hiphop, or a lot of hiphop generaly, no real way to get some positive feedback, in theory I know it's all good but in reality I need to feel and see it. Filipinos do look a lil black still.

However gneeraly I was talking about that phenomena of "white rap" in terms of it being a deal, and ont like ok they're white and they make wrods rhyme in music while not singing, well it's also cultural how you behave live os it's not jsut that. However you can be white and rap and do 0% of what is considered "hiphop" you can just use it as a music techniqe.

I just need ot get round some people who like similar things like me. That's what it is mainly.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

well I know it's right ot be white and rap, obviously, but being on stage, nah actualy it's just not being form an area where people listen to english speaking hiphop, or a lot of hiphop generaly, no real way to get some positive feedback, in theory I know it's all good but in reality I need to feel and see it. Filipinos do look a lil black still.

However gneeraly I was talking about that phenomena of "white rap" in terms of it being a deal, and ont like ok they're white and they make wrods rhyme in music while not singing, well it's also cultural how you behave live os it's not jsut that. However you can be white and rap and do 0% of what is considered "hiphop" you can just use it as a music techniqe.

I just need ot get round some people who like similar things like me. That's what it is mainly.

And Eminem gets a huge pass by everyone he maybe can't even be considered white rap, people who don't liek rap period will like Eminem, he's like general Pop culture.

Last edited by a moderator:
well I know it's right to be white and rap, obviously, but being on stage, nah actualy it's just not being from an area where people listen to english speaking hiphop, or a lot of hiphop generaly, no real way to get some positive feedback, in theory I know it's all good but in reality I need to feel and see it. Filipinos do look a lil black still.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

well I know it's right ot be white and rap, obviously, but being on stage, nah actualy it's just not being form an area where people listen to english speaking hiphop, or a lot of hiphop generaly, no real way to get some positive feedback, in theory I know it's all good but in reality I need to feel and see it. Filipinos do look a lil black still.

And Eminem gets a huge pass by everyone he maybe can't even be considered white rap, people who don't liek rap period will like Eminem, he's like general Pop culture.

oh yea of course. if your rapping at a concert full of people that listen to country music of course they gonna look at you funny. even when i first started rappin way back in middle school my parents was like wtf are you doin go to school and not all filipinos look kind of black. i happen to look really asian hahah or ive been told. imagine people lookin at me when i hop on stage like wtf this dude bout to rap about. but if you got skills youll get that love. theres been times when i hopped of stage and people that were white black brown yellow whatever was giving me props. but yea tho you gotta be around the people who share the same love. im pretty sure theres places in europe thats on some straight hip hop shit. you seem like you feeling b-rad from that movie malibu. but just keep it real with who you are. you dont gotta act a certain way. thats whats cool about real rappers. they aint fakin the funk.

what's b-rad from malibu - a character in a movie ? I googled it, hmm why lol ?

Well in europe definitely, but europe is a ocntinent not a country. In this particular country, not so muhc. I guess I can look harder. Or move to somewhere else. Won't get no love where on love is lost, sure #

Last edited by a moderator:
hahah i meant dont feel like b-rad in the movie malibu. you gotta watch the movie to understand.

No I'm actualy really, cool, at least I think, but not sure how my surounding feels bout all that. Guess I need some like minded people round me, and I need to just record a lot. But the people here who even are into rap probably listen to croatian speaking rap, not english, so yeah, but who cares, to many excuses.

It's not a white/black thing, even though it can sometimes be perceived as that. It's the environment a person grows up in. That's why some white rappers are perceived as corny because they don't come from that culture. They are usually people who sat and saw it on tv and then emulated what they saw.

B-Rad from Malibus Most Wanted is a perfect example lol.

Maybe it's me, but i know for a fact, within the first 10 seconds of hearing a person rap i can usually tell if they came from a hiphop influenced environment.
You can hear it in their voice, down to the way they say certain words.

Coming from struggle/adversity plays a big role.

Last edited:
Why are most white comedians not funny to me? Not saying all...but most. Because I don't relate to them. Does it make me hate them or mean I hate them? Most definitely not. A lot of black folks sound corny to me.......especially today.

It's not a white/black thing, even though it can sometimes be perceived as that. It's the environment a person grows up in. That's why some white rappers are perceived as corny because they don't come from that culture. They are usually people who sat and saw it on tv and then emulated what they saw.

Maybe it's me, but i know for a fact, within the first 10 seconds of hearing a person rap i can usually tell if they came from a hiphop influenced environment.

I totaly agree. Some real wisdom on this site. Damn you black folks infested radio and tv with your music and now it's part of my music and I run risk to be corny or fake or whatever. But it's ok. I really loved some of that shit, so it is real. But I defnitely get carried away or slip into acting way more black then I am which ends up beig corny. But all good. I'll figure it out.

I like this. Didn't know what he was saying. Had me walking around saying "I'll licky boom boom doooooown!!!"

Last edited:
white rappers are perceived as being corny because most of the time they are corny

doesn't get much more cornball than Mac Miller (wait a min...actually it does if you've ever surfed around SoundCloud or other sites like that)

the white rappers I enjoy FIND THEIR OWN VOICE

you're going to sound wack if you're trying to sound like a black rapper or copying Eminem(yet people continue to do this)

White rappers don't be corny enough to me.

A true goofball white rapper could get massive YouTube buzz and maybe drop a Gold single and go on a North American tour and make some money.

Why not? Talent is an afterthought these days. Whites just need enough entertainment value to pull it off. Entertainment value trumps talent.

Coming from struggle/adversity plays a big role.

B-Rad hahaha. Too dope.

This thread isn't helping white people right now

Ill even up the balance a bit then.

Apathy, Evidence, High & Mighty, Cage, Aesop Rock, Rob Sonic, Yak Ballz, El-P, Action Bronson, Non Phixion, Ill Bill, Necro, RA The Rugged Man, Brother Ali, Eminem, 3rd Bass, Beastie Boys.

Back