What are the best studio monitors for HIP HOP PRODUCTION?!?!?!?

I use a Audio Technica AT2020 with my Presounes Firebox and its sounds great, i think its the best entry level mic out there by far

I have the original 20/20s and over time they bothered me more and more. The bass is quite lacking, there's some aspect of the mid mid's that sounds over pronounced to me, and the high end is clear but a bit artificial imo.

Again, this is all subjective, but I produce electronic music and hip hop and I need to really feel the bass when I'm tracking, not necessarily when I'm mixing.

Does anyone here with the 20/20's couple them with a sub? If so what do you use?

^^^I couple every other set of speakers I have with a sub. I use my 20/20s with an alesis preamp(I think like 120w), but only use them to master recordings. They actually give you a good sense of everything going on when a sound is coming into your studio from outside, but I hate them for anything done completely in my studio.

IMO they're pretty flat and although I agree the mids and highs seem harsh, it's kind of convenient for mixing/mastering. When I put them with my sub, they sound pretty much like any other speakers coupled with a sub. I use a 200w computer gaming speaker sub and blast it, so rather than risking blowing them, I hooked up some Sony Bookshelves that IMO sound better coupled with my sub.

yamaha ns series
alesis m1 mk2
event
mackie
adam
krk(though i think theyre overrated)

those are all great monitors/companies that sell monitors

I got a pair of m-audio bx5a and they are really dope especially for a small in home studio set up, the sound quality is crazy. I suggest going to a local guitar center and checking out the different monitors. (not sure if all guitar centers have this) but the guitar center near me has a room with all there monitors hooked up so you can listen to the sound quality b4 you buy. I think regulary out the store they are $400-$500 but they cut me a good deal so i only paid half. Amazing quality without breaking the bank

Last edited:
THAT IS A STUPID QUESTION
OK OK i had to stop reading to address this. First of all, you have posted some pretty stupid questions yourself:
How Do You Post Mp3s On This Site For Others To Hear??
Im Currently 16 And Have Already Gotten One Of My Beats On The Radio Played 6 Times
Am I Doing Good??

@ EXCLUSIVE BEATS: You just need to shut your damn mouth, grow up, and learn some things before you try to tell ANYone that THEY have stupid questions.

The OP did not have a "stupid" question. He could have answered his own question by simply using google, but some people get comfortable with the forum environment, and want to learn all they can from the people that have previously helped them. That is what this forum is about. Look at the very top right corner of this website. It says musicians learning from musicians, and it seems to me that you have a LOT of learning to do yourself..

In and out of the music business.

Stay in school and stop being such a douche, you might make a few beneficial connections on here :)

Now im going to put my paddle down, and continue reading this thread.

Last edited:
krk's are said to be so called "cheap" by some ppl but they are pretty good for the money> they are very clear!

Back