What Are Formants?

You don't happen to have a real FM synth, with a real mod matrix? Otherwise you could download the FL Studio demo and start experimenting with the FM synth Sytrus, that one is great :) It's pretty similar to FM8 i believe

Sadly no. :( Is FM synthesis impossible without something like the FM8 or sytrus?

There are plenty of real FM synths, so don't worry about that :) But by my own experience, Sytrus is the best dedicated FM synth out there, and I don't know many more real FM synths (the Yamaha DX7 huehue). Otherwise you mostly only have an "FM knob" on most famous synths with a pitch control, while on Sytrus you can pretty much fineshape the waveform of all oscillators and completely go crazy on the modulation. Again, all you have to do is downloading the FL demo and you'll have access to the Sytrus synth so you may practice your FM skills :) Otherwise you could search the KVR database for different FM synths

There are plenty of real FM synths, so don't worry about that :) But by my own experience, Sytrus is the best dedicated FM synth out there, and I don't know many more real FM synths (the Yamaha DX7 huehue). Otherwise you mostly only have an "FM knob" on most famous synths with a pitch control, while on Sytrus you can pretty much fineshape the waveform of all oscillators and completely go crazy on the modulation. Again, all you have to do is downloading the FL demo and you'll have access to the Sytrus synth so you may practice your FM skills :) Otherwise you could search the KVR database for different FM synths

I would really love to download the FL demo it's just that I use a Mac not a windows. :( I'm probably going to invest in the FM8 since it does seem to be the "go to" FM synth in the industry.

I was actually using sylenth. With the LFO1 I was modulating the "pitch" as fast as possible.
There are a few reasons why this won't work.
1. An LFO is a LOW FREQUENCY oscillator. Even at max settings, you won't reach anywhere near the speed you need for FM
2. The modulator rate needs to be able to change so that it's always the same pitch/frequency relative to the note you're playing
3. LFOs aren't designed for that kinda thing and you'll probably get horrible aliasing.

I actually haven't found any freeware synths that do FM in the same way sytrus/ FM8 do- (Is it 'phase modulation'? as opposed to traditional frequency modulation? Anyone know?)
There are many freeware FM synths, like FMMF, but none of them seem to sound anything like sytrus/FM8/toxic biohazard do and I don't understand why.

Last edited:
Back