Want to get into production but need some guidance!

Hey guys! I am totally new to this forum and new to music production in general. I was just wondering where should I start? I have looked at all the beginner posts and what to start learning. I want to start making beats if that helps at all but have no idea where to start. I am still in high school so as of right now it will only be a hobby but I would totally want to make it into a career at some point if possible! Thanks!

I'm pretty new too, so maybe I can shed some insight haha. What I first did was look up what each digital audio workstation had to provide, I ended up with FL studio simply because the producers I like a lot use it. From there I bought all the stuff I needed to start, which was the DAW itself, Nexus (which is a vst that has a bunch of sounds you can use). Then for a few weeks I just messed around with the program to see how it works and started putting small pieces of sounds together. From there I got a couple of drumkits which you can find on google or buy and started making beats. After you make your first full beat, then you can get into mixing, which there are a lot of tutorials on youtube on how to mix. Once you feel satisfied with what you produced, start uploading to soundcloud or whatever platform you wish to share your music. Also don't forget to be social and interact via social media with other people to get your name out there.

Hope that helped kinda, feel free to message me if you have any more questions!

Your DAW (Digital audio workstation) will be your life! So take your time to chose it well... Don't base yourself on price, looks or which famous producer uses it... Once you master a DAW it is very hard and time consuming to switch.

For Example I learned on Reason and switched to Ableton Live. It took me forever! I should have started with Ableton right away.

Also if you have a friend that produces, check out what he uses! Like that he can give you tips and help you out. It is always easier to learn and make music with a friend.

Back