Want a good bass drum then use stomper

D

DjTangent

do a google search for stomper it's a bass drum program that allows you to mix osc together to create wicked bass drums. Forget about layering in the bass region it is extremely challenging to avoid phasing and get a good punch even with compression. This program is great because as you add osc you can actually tell if any phasing is going on as things will start shaping wierd. Anyways many great producers use this and only this for dance music bass drums along with possible EQ and Comp but who knows that's the stuff that should be learned from them. So try it let me know what you think I swear by it for bass drums.
later

Sounds cool, im gonna fiddle with it when i get home. and give you some comments of what i think about it.

What I want to know is, can Stomper or any other synthesizer be used to create realistic sounding drums??

Not electronic drums but hip hop drums?

Or am I asking for too much.

I inquire because sometimes it's so much of a headache to work with sampled drums and get them right.

Well, In theory yes but it's better to use the real thing if that is what you are after. Yeah sampling breaks and cutting out the ind drum sounds from old records is in and yes it is tuff work to do ya know getting the timing right and all but it's just not very easy to create real bd's especially realistic High Hats. However stomper can easily create a bumpin hip hop BDrum for the other intruments use samples or check out an 808 second hand. But to finally awnser your question if you want real use real. That's my opinion at least. I think I'm about done meow......

Stomper is my god...
I currently make all my kick sounds with it... It's really a very simple program, but its features are really suited to making finely tuned bass drums. Slap some multiband compression, EQ on there and you've got yourself a killer bass drum.

Haven't found it too great for anything else, though -- Snare drums to some extent, but it's a pain in the patoot.

However, I can say that I couldn't imagine going back to relying on sampled kick drums or trying to get my synths to produce just the right sound :D.

I couldn't agree more. Also I think you just solved a problem for me. I bet it's multi band that I should be using not single band compression. I find that single band compression just doesn;t cut it for dance music sounds especially in the bass region. Am I wrong? Looks like I'll have to try c4 compressor out, will that do it? or are you using hardware. I have messed with multiband once and believe it is probably the one peice of gear that seperates a good sound design from a bad one at least for Techno and all that. I can't imagine anyone uses anything diff. I have sat with single band compressors for ever and they just don't add sufficient punch that is needed ion dance drums.
later

DjTangent said:
I couldn't agree more. Also I think you just solved a problem for me. I bet it's multi band that I should be using not single band compression. I find that single band compression just doesn;t cut it for dance music sounds especially in the bass region. Am I wrong? Looks like I'll have to try c4 compressor out, will that do it? or are you using hardware. I have messed with multiband once and believe it is probably the one peice of gear that seperates a good sound design from a bad one at least for Techno and all that. I can't imagine anyone uses anything diff. I have sat with single band compressors for ever and they just don't add sufficient punch that is needed ion dance drums.
later

I'm in the same vote as you. Just been using c1 for my kicks although it sounds ok, this stomper gives me the real sound i'm looking for. I tried multiband once on a bass and it sounded tight, but i read somewhere that using multiband compression on a mix is a nightmare for whoevers gonna master so i stayed away...maybe i should give it another go.

DjTangent said:
later

I use MDA's free multiband compressor (Google for "Maxim Digital Audio"). It's rather lame, but it's the best I can do inside my pitifully small budget.

Back