Wanna start producing songs/hip hop beats.

CountJuan

Hello I'm a 22 year old rapper and I would also like to branch into producing so that I can design my own sounds. A couple of questions that I was hoping to get answered.

I have recently started playing the piano to make my self familiar with the notes and music theory in general and I have done this because I wish to make my own samples instead of sampling from other artists. I really do not want any lawsuits in the future. My question is would I need to master a certain instrument to incorporate their sounds effectively to make a song thats technically efficient?

If wanting to play an instrument yes.
If making beats of course it's not necessary since daws allow input with anything like the mouse and keyboard.
Learning the basics of an instrument or an instrument in it's entirety will help you use it in song creation, nothing more nothing less.

Melodic instrument? easier and faster to lay out ideas.
Percussion? again, same philosophy.

I usually consider anything not classical or traditional rock music, edm personally.
I consider anything electronic, edm.
Then of course there's using real instruments and electronic stuff. Both.

You don't really need to know music theory to sample.

Get that little bit of music theory, then close your eyes and don't let the computer compromise your fantasy. Good luck, dude.

Back