Waka Flocka Flame Says The South Runs Music. Period.

61Key

[h=1]Waka Flocka Flame Says The South Runs Music Period[/h]by Danielle Harling
posted December 13, 2013 at 11:30AM PST | 13 comments

Waka%20Flocka%20Flame_12-13-2013.jpg

Waka Flocka Flame sides with Trinidad James and his comments about the South, says his tour with Steve Aoki has been the best tour of his career.
When asked about fellow Atlanta emcee Trinidad James’ comments about the South running New York rap, Waka Flocka Flame took James’ comments one step further as he stated that the South doesn’t just run Hip Hop, the region runs music period.
During his interview with Vlad TV, Waka mentioned Kendrick Lamar and revealed that while the Compton rapper did warrant some attention for the West Coast, in his opinion the South is still at the top musically.
“The South run music period,” said Waka. “They don’t just run one region, one state, one genre, the South run music. That’s just what it is. You know what I mean? Kendrick Lamar made the [bar] look West, but the South still winning. Like that’s what it is. It’s friendly competition. Some people just get carried away.”
Waka followed up his comments about the South’s dominance in music with a few boastful words about his past tour with Steve Aoki. The Riverdale, Georgia rapper referred to his tour with Aoki as “the number one tour” he’s been on since the start of his career and commented on the camaraderie between artists.
“This tour, it’s the best I ever been on in my life, ever,” said Waka. “Any collab I ever did. It’s the number one tour by a long shot. Like it’s making every tour I’ve ever been on go in the garbage. This and Europe, best tour in my life…Niggas ain’t competing onstage. Niggas was real friends back there, man. We going [paintballing]. We doing crazy shit. Skydiving back here, man. We living life.”
Comments Waka made in regard to James’ remarks about the South and New York rap, come one month after the “All Gold Everything” rapper let loose his thoughts on music during a performance at the Converse Rubber Tracks show in New York City.
In the middle of his performance, the rapper proclaimed that the South runs New York rap as he informed attendees, “I remember when New York ran this shit, dog…And us in the South, us bammas, we was like ‘what the ****’ and we just did our own thing. But now we run y’all musically.”
In the months since James’ shared his critique of New York rap, the Atlanta wordsmith has received criticism from a number of New York City-based artists including N.O.R.E. and Maino. Maino remained the most vocal in his criticism of James’ comments and even demanded an apology from the rapper during a recorded phone call between the two artists last month.

RELATED: Waka Flocka Flame Says He Mocks Himself Intentionally

He's right everybody is on the Souths dick right now. They've been going strong for over a decade as the hot location. It's their turn.

Pretty much what I was saying in the Trinidad James thread. We don't run just New York....we run the world. And if you really want to get jiggy.......where is that hot 100 dude Pittbull from? Where Flo-Rida from? Then Atlanta killing the underground scene. So if you DON'T want that commercial sound, then you got to use that Atlanta sound. Because that other stuff ain't hot man. Big Krit sound ain't hot.....it's hot but it ain't HOT hot. And we some characters man. New York dudes are too normal. You talk like normal people do. You rap like normal people. You represent the educated brother.....you speak proper.....get upset at simple stuff like the English language not spoken correctly. Hell....we closer to the British Accent than you are down here...........you still lose. Your radio stations suck! One got old people who ain't hip...so they play either that garbage New York shit to hype the city up, play old classics to pump the city up, or they play south shit or shit that got that southern sound. Dr.Dre approves of the southern sound....held back Detox because of that southern sound. Kendrick saved his ass with the "SOUTHERN" sound. I can go all day...........Pharrell trying to save 50......shit is funny. New York doesn't have a bridge outside of their tradition. The rapper format has been stuck on the same shit since early 2000........yall New York rappers need the Pied Piper (2000 R.Kelly) to be on your hook, talking bout some "feeling on your booohooohooohoohoooooteeeeeeeeeee" You can't be a super saiyan rapper to a trap beat......crunk beats even broke Nas ass down. I don't consider Jay-Z and Style's P New York rappers.....they more like real niggas from New York. And really the only ones from New York getting offended are the "yo kid, yo son, yo 1,2,1,2, my dawg dawg"......type of New York rapper. "look at this nigga man...he still drinking 40's......like it's the 80's." LMAO!!!! Dudes from New York bought Montero Jeeps and thought they were the shit.........wonder why? MPV vans and shit. The soccer mom ride.....yall dudes be 8 deep in soccer mom vans. 3 vans deep.......bumpin Mobb Deep in the factory system......smoking some fuucked up optimos Ls (lmao Ls..they still call them Ls)......got damn........Tims three sizes too big....so when all 24 of you hope out the soccer mom van......all you hear is "yo son word iz born.....clop...clop.clop....clop..... " sound like some horses coming and shit.

I can go all day. Funk Flex still using 8bit bombs and shit. He put a bomb on anything......just about ever song Funk Flex plays gets the space invader's explosion......spurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRR..........spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRR.

New York rappers fiend for ANYBODY.........ANNNNYYYBOOOOOODY...........to say even the smallest thing about New York or them personally. "AW SON.....YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......SON......HE SAID WHAT YO, EVERBODY LET'S RIDE...I NEED YALL.......LET'S HOP IN THE MVP MOBILE SON.........WE HEADED TO THE STUDIO!!!!!!!" Two stop signs later they make it to the studio......"YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHAT I SAY......WHAT I SAY..........UM...........(We gave birth to you put you in a grave dirt who knew)...HAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA SON THIS SHIT GONE BE HOT, YO Let's dollar up so we can pay for time in this piece, son." New York rappers fall off with their buddies over shit like that and will never let it go. What you heard on the interview was....."yeah man...we just went our seperate ways...he do his thing and I do mine"...............but what really went down....."YO SON........WE SUPPOSE TO BE A TEAM....WHY YOU AIN'T PITCH IN ON THE STUDIO TIME YO? We 24 deep son......AND YOU GOT ON OME NEW SNEAKS SON.........WE DONE........NOO FUUCK YOU.....YOU GONE SEE ME AGAIN!!!!!

All love man! :D

Last edited:
spurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRR..........spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRR.
"yo son word iz born.....clop...clop.clop....clop..... " <<---- HAHAHA

LMAO! you just posted some awesome shit man. I enjoyed reading it!

When I was done reading it, for some reason I pictured that dude "Black" from the movie Belly after DMX punked him, sitting on the couch like "You gon get yours B, you gon get yours...". Some body should make one of those captioned pictures LOL.

Last edited:
I agree that the south has had the charts for the last 10 years, but I think that the icon displayed has set a perspective that Hip-Hop has lost its quality in lyrics. I like to party and dance to the music cause I don't hate on anyone, but I don't feel inspired by their lyrics.

:cheers:^^^^That's the point though. Who wants to hear a new Bone Thugs In Harmony today? Nobody. Ouija boards, murder murder, the thought of Bone appears as death and wicked thoughts. Or who wants to hear a new 2Pac? Crying about how he feels on a deep level and shit. A lot of people still til this day try to go the Pac/Biggie route. Ain't happening. Too many words for today.

Vocabulary means nothing......where is your NEW SLANG? Kid, son, thun, dun..............we have tired ourselves of your slang. The south has slang upon slang upon slang....that averge people wnat to say. New York slang? Well..........you have to be a New York dude to speak it. lmao. Even a white man in a business suit knows what twerking is......(ATL SLANG......remember that shit before it end up somebody else's shit). The funny thing about slang is how late the rest of the world be up on it....but once it spread, it spread heavy. Bling bling..........we bout dat......over huuuuuuur.........NY is just average. Your only hope is Busta Rhymes and DMX when he links back with Swizz......and Swizz is actually an ATLien from New York......(reality check). He took a piece of the ATL and brought it to yall.....so give us credit for that, too. He just couldn't do it right...his style was a mistake made good. (real talk).

New York.....get your slang up....we don't care about your lyrics.
Beavis and Butthead Glossary - YouTube

Fun songs never go outdated. And as soon as New York understands that nobody gives a damn about their styles and flow and shit.......they will continue to be where they at. They should be putting out some Slick Rick type shit today....but they stuck on the dumbest shit......like being he king of New York...best rapper and shit like that. Then these battle rappers wax that ass rel good and have them pulling out notebooks and shit. While we keep giving people what they want.....and that's the feeling of finally being off after a long days work......not giving you homework to study.

Last edited:
Pretty much what I was saying in the Trinidad James thread. We don't run just New York....we run the world. And if you really want to get jiggy.......where is that hot 100 dude Pittbull from? Where Flo-Rida from? Then Atlanta killing the underground scene. So if you DON'T want that commercial sound, then you got to use that Atlanta sound. Because that other stuff ain't hot man. Big Krit sound ain't hot.....it's hot but it ain't HOT hot. And we some characters man. New York dudes are too normal. You talk like normal people do. You rap like normal people. You represent the educated brother.....you speak proper.....get upset at simple stuff like the English language not spoken correctly. Hell....we closer to the British Accent than you are down here...........you still lose. Your radio stations suck! One got old people who ain't hip...so they play either that garbage New York shit to hype the city up, play old classics to pump the city up, or they play south shit or shit that got that southern sound. Dr.Dre approves of the southern sound....held back Detox because of that southern sound. Kendrick saved his ass with the "SOUTHERN" sound. I can go all day...........Pharrell trying to save 50......shit is funny. New York doesn't have a bridge outside of their tradition. The rapper format has been stuck on the same shit since early 2000........yall New York rappers need the Pied Piper (2000 R.Kelly) to be on your hook, talking bout some "feeling on your booohooohooohoohoooooteeeeeeeeeee" You can't be a super saiyan rapper to a trap beat......crunk beats even broke Nas ass down. I don't consider Jay-Z and Style's P New York rappers.....they more like real niggas from New York. And really the only ones from New York getting offended are the "yo kid, yo son, yo 1,2,1,2, my dawg dawg"......type of New York rapper. "look at this nigga man...he still drinking 40's......like it's the 80's." LMAO!!!! Dudes from New York bought Montero Jeeps and thought they were the shit.........wonder why? MPV vans and shit. The soccer mom ride.....yall dudes be 8 deep in soccer mom vans. 3 vans deep.......bumpin Mobb Deep in the factory system......smoking some fuucked up optimos Ls (lmao Ls..they still call them Ls)......got damn........Tims three sizes too big....so when all 24 of you hope out the soccer mom van......all you hear is "yo son word iz born.....clop...clop.clop....clop..... " sound like some horses coming and shit.

I can go all day. Funk Flex still using 8bit bombs and shit. He put a bomb on anything......just about ever song Funk Flex plays gets the space invader's explosion......spurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRR..........spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRR.

New York rappers fiend for ANYBODY.........ANNNNYYYBOOOOOODY...........to say even the smallest thing about New York or them personally. "AW SON.....YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......SON......HE SAID WHAT YO, EVERBODY LET'S RIDE...I NEED YALL.......LET'S HOP IN THE MVP MOBILE SON.........WE HEADED TO THE STUDIO!!!!!!!" Two stop signs later they make it to the studio......"YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHAT I SAY......WHAT I SAY..........UM...........(We gave birth to you put you in a grave dirt who knew)...HAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA SON THIS SHIT GONE BE HOT, YO Let's dollar up so we can pay for time in this piece, son." New York rappers fall off with their buddies over shit like that and will never let it go. What you heard on the interview was....."yeah man...we just went our seperate ways...he do his thing and I do mine"...............but what really went down....."YO SON........WE SUPPOSE TO BE A TEAM....WHY YOU AIN'T PITCH IN ON THE STUDIO TIME YO? We 24 deep son......AND YOU GOT ON OME NEW SNEAKS SON.........WE DONE........NOO FUUCK YOU.....YOU GONE SEE ME AGAIN!!!!!

All love man! :D

I don't know if you remember our disagreement, but I actually replied in that thread that if Trinidad had said the south runs hip hop worldwide, that woulda made sense, but saying ATL runs NYC is too confined of a statement. It's like saying NYC would come to a halt if not for Ford motors vs saying the world would come to a halt without automobiles.

There we have it...and Flocka is not the most lyrical..but he's from NY. Shyt, I started seeing "crunk" NY implants down here in FL years ago. I think Dipset, Fat Joe and them brought their flunkies with them. Don't get me wrong, I'm the number one Black Moon/Wu Tang/Gang Starr fan in Florida but that style of music was marginalized in NY itself..some called it "backpack music" to shyt on it. ATL has always been the more "musical" city anyway's. Lots of church bands to learn music theory, lot's of club's to promote and distribute, lot's of garage studio's to record at, lot's of colleges(young folks) to convert to fans. The south gone hold it down...

Last edited:
:cheers:^^^^That's the point though. Who wants to hear a new Bone Thugs In Harmony today?

They would actually kill some trap beats, better than most Trap rappers.

Your only hope is Busta Rhymes and DMX when he links back with Swizz......and Swizz is actually an ATLien from New York......(reality check). He took a piece of the ATL and brought it to yall.....so give us credit for that, too. He just couldn't do it right...his style was a mistake made good. (real talk).
LOL at Swizz being able to compete with Trap producers!

Fun songs never go outdated. And as soon as New York understands that nobody gives a damn about their styles and flow and shit.......they will continue to be where they at. They should be putting out some Slick Rick type shit today....but they stuck on the dumbest shit......like being he king of New York...best rapper and shit like that. Then these battle rappers wax that ass rel good and have them pulling out notebooks and shit. While we keep giving people what they want.....and that's the feeling of finally being off after a long days work......not giving you homework to study.

Fun doesnt have to equal shit lyrics & unoriginal flows. Battle Rappers & modern New York rappers can **** off though with their Nas flows & Drake punchlines

Anybody remember when funk flex was beefin with nikki minaj all hardcore while playing Rihanna's cake?
that was the softest moment in NYC hip hop history. Nas threw black flowers on the grave.

IDK about all music. I mean prob the most popular artist in the world is from New York City named Stefani. Plus there are a lot of European DJ's who are popular world wide. sooooo I kinda can't give it to one region of the world for the status of running the music industry

Back