Vybe Beatz Sound Design, Mixing & Mastering Techniques...

Yeah, I asked for honest criticism, NOT for someone to come in & say "your mixing definitely needs help", I'm thinking NO SHIT! "Sounds harsh" & telling someone that their "mixing needs help" is not helpful at all. Maybe if you went into detail as to why you believe this way would have been helpful, but like I said before, you don't know how to elaborate (look up the definition "SwagFoolProductionz") because you still don't get it...

Also, it's not called "butt hurt" you fool, it's called having respect for people & coming into this forum to help each other out, not put each other down. You really didn't come to help because if you did, you would have said in more detail what you think could be better about it, but you didn't. What "sticky's" are you talking about? Im new here & didn't see them yet.....???

That is BEING HONEST... i'm not gonna lolly gag here with u.. and stickys are at the top of each thread https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/recording-mixing-mastering/ above other people thread it says sticky this / sticky that.

Swagg really didn't seem out of line brutha, I'm at work so can't listen but it sounds like you just need help on mixing from the comments. Theres no way to learn everything it takes through a forum (good start tho), it takes years and years of practice and education but anyways check out Ken Lewis mixing "Down On Me" on youtube. Its by far the coolest mixing tutorial I've come across. From recording to A LOT of vybe, juliano and others on soundclick I've noticed that yes, they are really clean mixes, nothing really different than most engineers but the beats are SQUASHED with no headroom meaning that they are mastered. Done right this will sound clean and loud. Try playing around with effects on your master bus, starting with EQ then a limiter. Put a small boost on the low end, small cut in the mids, boost around 1-2k (the "smile"curve), and put a final limiter on it. Make it as loud as possible without distortion.

I assume that you're SwagQueerProductionz booty partner? The dude wasn't trying to be nice. I already answered why in my earlier post. Make sure you read the whole thread next time before you come & leave a comment like this...... ok "dick"??? Thanks...

Wow, what a dick. The guy was just trying to help, you need to grow up man.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Swagg really didn't seem out of line brutha, I'm at work so can't listen but it sounds like you just need help on mixing from the comments. Theres no way to learn everything it takes through a forum (good start tho), it takes years and years of practice and education but anyways check out Ken Lewis mixing "Down On Me" on youtube. Its by far the coolest mixing tutorial I've come across. From recording to A LOT of vybe, juliano and others on soundclick I've noticed that yes, they are really clean mixes, nothing really different than most engineers but the beats are SQUASHED with no headroom meaning that they are mastered. Done right this will sound clean and loud. Try playing around with effects on your master bus, starting with EQ then a limiter. Put a small boost on the low end, small cut in the mids, boost around 1-2k (the "smile"curve), and put a final limiter on it. Make it as loud as possible without distortion.

Hey beauli, thanks for your tips man! You actually make some sense like a few of the other helpful friends here. I appreciate those who sincerely try to help this community of producers to make better music for us all... Also, I'm going to check out that tutorial that you're talking about right now... btw, I'm trying to accomplish that same type of low end that vybe beatz has with a lot of punch in the kick drum & heavy low end 808 subs. Vybe seems to have a good separation between his kick & sub so that they can both stand out without clashing or competing with one another...Does this tutorial have any relation to this style of mixing & mastering? What would you say???

Last edited:
Not gonna lie.... a lot of producers have cleaner mixes than his... I think my mixes are even better than his.

MP3 Player SoundClick
That's a link to my newest mix... as far as mixing, I won't tell you my secret techniques for getting great mixes but I will tell you it's all about carving out room with EQ's... to be honest, you really don't even need anything below like 30 to 35 (possibly 40) Hz on a kick (depending on the sample and the style of kick you're going for... the clicky kind of kick that I use is all in the lower and upper mid region)... unless it's an 808. I run a high pass filter on just about every instrument in my mix... most low brass and piano's don't need all that low end information... it's just clogging up room for your bass line to breathe. The human ear can't even hear anything below 20 Hz... you just feel it... so leave all that room for your sub bass. It's like taking a picture.. you position people left to right, front to back... shortest to tallest... so that you can see everyone in the large group photo... it's the same thing with mixing... getting every instrument to be seen (heard in this case) without having to push into other instruments for their own space.

The first thing you need to do is read up on what is what... you can't begin to try and build a house if you don't know a power saw works... try and learn the terminology and at least the basics of what each tool does... if you can't get a great mix with just adjusting volume, panning, and basic EQ then your mix was doomed to begin with.

Last tip... don't always think about turning everything up, rather turning some things down... if you want your lead synth line to be heard more, rather than turning it up and clipping/distorting... just turn other things down.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Also, on a side note.... don't get mad if people don't want to share a whole lot of information with you.... KFC doesn't just give out their secret recipe you know what I'm saying... each person has their own specific way of doing things that they probably don't want to tell anyone about.

Last edited:
Hey City Beats,

So I listened to your beat, but I still say that it's not quite on the level of Vybe Beatz because you still don't have that same punch in your kick & separation between the kick & sub (low end). Vybe is very good at having that separation so that the kick & sub are in their own space & both really stand out. Your mix sounds ok maybe to an average ear, but listen to Vybes Beat right here that he did in a collaboration with FlamingBeatz. Listen to his kick (a lot of punch!) & sub/808 (very low end) separation & how they both stand out:

SoundClick artist: Vybe Beatz - The Hottest Music Production Online Period.

Then compare it to your beat side by side. You will hear a major difference... Great work overall though!

Not gonna lie.... a lot of producers have cleaner mixes than his... I think my mixes are even better than his.

MP3 Player SoundClick
That's a link to my newest mix... as far as mixing, I won't tell you my secret techniques for getting great mixes but I will tell you it's all about carving out room with EQ's... to be honest, you really don't even need anything below like 30 to 35 (possibly 40) Hz on a kick (depending on the sample and the style of kick you're going for... the clicky kind of kick that I use is all in the lower and upper mid region)... unless it's an 808. I run a high pass filter on just about every instrument in my mix... most low brass and piano's don't need all that low end information... it's just clogging up room for your bass line to breathe. The human ear can't even hear anything below 20 Hz... you just feel it... so leave all that room for your sub bass. It's like taking a picture.. you position people left to right, front to back... shortest to tallest... so that you can see everyone in the large group photo... it's the same thing with mixing... getting every instrument to be seen (heard in this case) without having to push into other instruments for their own space.

The first thing you need to do is read up on what is what... you can't begin to try and build a house if you don't know a power saw works... try and learn the terminology and at least the basics of what each tool does... if you can't get a great mix with just adjusting volume, panning, and basic EQ then your mix was doomed to begin with.

Last tip... don't always think about turning everything up, rather turning some things down... if you want your lead synth line to be heard more, rather than turning it up and clipping/distorting... just turn other things down.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Also, on a side note.... don't get mad if people don't want to share a whole lot of information with you.... KFC doesn't just give out their secret recipe you know what I'm saying... each person has their own specific way of doing things that they probably don't want to tell anyone about.

Last edited:
My kick sounds like that because it's a stylistic choice... I like the clicky kind of kicks, his kicks are beefier.

I understand what you're saying about the "stylistic choice" & I completely agree that we should all have our own, but apparently Vybe Beatz is one of the top sellers on Soundclick (or is still the Top-Seller) & people really love his style of mixing with his kicks & subs. If you don't believe me, well just Google it because I constantly see people talking about how they like his real punchy kick & low end subs.

Here's what I think you should do is make a new beat, try to do a similar style to Vybes, & post it here. I want to hear it & see if you really know how to achieve this effect. I bet your beats would sound even better. Can you do this??? Thanks again for your advice too...

My kick sounds like that because it's a stylistic choice... I like the clicky kind of kicks, his kicks are beefier.

City hit it on the head with the "seperation". I'll do a more aggressive HP filter on my kicks though to hear the 808 better, sometimes I'll cut everything below 50Khz and and boost around 60 and 125, then cut the 808 where I boosted the kick. I'll put some RBass or something like that on the 808 too, maybe even a limiter if I really want it to thump ridicoulously. For the "punch" on the kicks its in the compression or simpler, prob the sound selection. If you like his sound cop one of his soundkits, sure he sells them. Good sound selection will make your life A LOT easier. Honestly I use a lot of free kits like the lex luger kit lol, just eq and layer to taste.

Back