Vocals mixing questions

Harry62

The rapper I'm recording comes across quite harsh in the 900-3K range, even after EQ and multiband compressors. I'm 99% sure the issue is my microphone since it is most likely the bottleneck of my setup which is listed below:

Mic: AT4033a
Preamp: vintech audio x73i
Audio interface: focusrite saffire pro 24 (firewire)

I know I'm not going to get pro sounding vocals as I'm a bedroom producer doing this as a hobby. I just want to know how I can better my sound. Below is a short sample of vocals. The first half is dry, the second half is how I produced it before adding reverb:

Things I've tried:
- Mic position and distance from the rapper/singer.
- EQ and multiband compressors (this works the best but I have to really crush the vocals for results)

Things I have not tried due to lack of funds:
- A different mic.
- A bigger room to record in.

Thanks for reading.

You're recording through a very good chain, although one noted for emphasizing brightness (and possibly harshness). A tool that's worked well for me on vocals like this is TB Sibilance - not just a de-esser, but incorporates algorithms to remove "harsh" harmonics. Hope you don't mind, but downloaded your sample and ran it through, quickly played with some settings and came up with this. MP3, not highest quality of course, but see what you think, and if it might help then download a free eval and play with to your taste.

Last edited:
You're recording through a very good chain, although one noted for emphasizing brightness (and possibly harshness). A tool that's worked well for me on vocals like this is TB Sibilance - not just a de-esser, but incorporates algorithms to remove "harsh" harmonics. Hope you don't mind, but downloaded your sample and ran it through, quickly played with some settings and came up with this. MP3, not highest quality of course, but see what you think, and if it might help then download a free eval and play with to your taste.
I appreciate you uploading a sample of that. It sounds like it eliminates the harshness, however it def sacrifices the quality to do so much like a multi-band compressor. It seems I need a better environment to record in. Thanks again for the reply.

Back