Vintage Synth to MPC

Hi,
I'm considering buying an old 70s/ 80s synth such as the Jen Synthtone Sx1000. I want to connect it to my MPC500 for sampling and I'm posting this to ask if anyone knows if that's possible without an expensive conversion. I don't think it has a midi port so what cable would I need? Two standard quarter inches? Cheers

you wont be able to control it without a midi conversion as you already know, you can however sample yourself playing it live into the mpc and then chop it and sequence it

more importantly are you looking to use the synth as a controller or a sound source?

If a controller then you will need a cv to midi conversion unit

If a sound source, then all you need is the ability to connect the audio out of the synth to the audio in on the mpc - an audio cable or two should do the trick.....

I don't want to control it using the mpc I don't see much point in that and no I don't want to use it as a contoller. I simply want to sample the synth sound into the mpc and I suppose maybe into my interface and Ableton, but if I only need a couple of audio cables that should work too. Thanks for the quick (and useful) replies.

Cheers. That's reassured me. Live play sampling is what I want. I should probably put this on another thread but do you all have suggestions of synths to look into (budget is less than £300 so I'm not expecting much).

Hey again,
I've just purchased the aformentioned synth and as I'm getting a lot of noise using the cables (when I run my mpc into my soundcard to record into Ableton) I'll need a pair of quarter inch. Does anyone know if a synth- mpc or mpc-soundcard (Focusrite 2i2) setup requires balanced or unbalanced cables?

Back