Video Software for MAC ???

BLISS

I'm looking to work with video now, I was wondering if anyone could share information on what I need to begin.

I'm not sure whether to buy a DVD/Camcorder with usb. I dont want to spend like $3,000 on no camera, something within $800 and lower range, that can still do the trick.

Since I work on MAC I know FINAL CUT PRO is the best software to use, but also looking for some other alternatives, if that is possible.

Since I will be considered NEW at this, ((the production/music part is covered)) I'm trying to get as much info

I had someone do a video/commercial for my studio for me, and though it came out cool, it looked CAMCORDER-ISH, not like a video, though he had the fades and cut in and outs, slow motion stuff, I know I could have done better. He also seem to have a regular (it looked like) 8mm camera. I figure I'd try myself, I learned the music part, so syncing up video should'nt be all that hard. If they still use drop frames or smpte

any help is appreciated.

you can use iMovie if you don't wanna pay for final cut pro. If you don't want that "camcorderish" look, look for a 3ccd dv cam. I doubt they make any for under $800 but u might get lucky and technology might improve by the time you buy one.

I agree with darko, u may find some 3ccd cams that may be in ur price range, but until u learn about lighting and the aesthetic aspects of video production, chances r, ur stuff is still gonna look "camcorder-ish", there are no shortcuts in video production, just as there r no shortcuts in audio production. No where is it going to be more obvious than video, that it's not just about what equipment u use, trust me. I've got a canon GL2 (look it up and get familiar) and by itself, the video looks camcorder-ish, albeit, ultra dam sharp and crispy clear, but it still looks like plain old clear video when not used with the proper lighting techniques. It goes way deeper then just shinin a bright light on someone or something. Let me ask u, have u ever done any video b4? I noticed u said u could have done a better job then that guy who did the video for u, i like ur confidence, but if u have no exp. In video, i highly doubt u can. Especially since ur askin about cams and software packages to get started. I'd take darko's advice and start with imovie since u already have it. U can learn alot about the basics, well atleast i did when i started out on win movie maker years ago. Video is as, if not more-so involved then audio. u think choppin loops is a crappy task? Wait til u shot hours of video from multiple angles/cameras and u have to condense that down to a 3 min reel or a :30 spot. Good luck and have fun!
LevLove

Oh, and usb on a camcorder is only goin to transfer those crappy still pix that the cam takes, u need a mini-dv cam with a firewire port. These aren't like audio interfaces, u don't really get a choice of trasfer technology, it's pretty much firewire or bust. (unless some cams have come out recently that allow the transfer of video over usb, but i have yet to see 1)
I have not used one of those dvd or hdd camcorders, but most of the ones i've seen have firewire ports.if an hdd cam fills up on out n the field, u have to stop, dump it, then u can get back to work, as opposed to simply changin a tape and keepin it movin. How long is it gonna take to dump 36/60/80 gigs when u need to get a shot right then?

Last edited:
thats so true. I've got a canon xl2 and final cut and I'm still trying to learn the dreamy movie look. It takes lighting and prep.

Final Cut Pro is the only MAC one I'm familiar with.

The movie look is much easier to get if you use the lighting and equipment used to make movies. Seriously. Making good video is just as much of a time sink to learn as production and 10x as expensive. 24p, 3 chips, are what you want to look for to start with, and good lighting is essential. The 3 chips will give you better color. The 24p will give you a smoother film like look. An interchangeable lens is helpful, particularly if you want a good depth of field, and being able to choose your lens for a particular task will give you a better look on the first try.

Bottom line: to get a good video, you need good lights and a really good camera. Don't even think you can get a high quality video from a $800 camera. Sorry, you'll have to lower your standards or pay more. That's my opinion, especially if it doesn't have 24p. Rent a good one for a weekend or something if you can't afford to buy one. (Yes, you can do this!)

You're a producer, right? I bet you're good with sound. You can walk into any room and know how the sound is going to work. You know where to put the mic to get the best recording out of the talent. That skill didn't happen overnight. Believe me, if you go over to the video forums, the folks over there think that getting good sound is easy and then wonder why their film sound is so bad. They don't have a good mic, don't know where to put it, (what's an amp!), and don't have the foggiest idea how to use EQ. On the flip side, they will make better video than you because they have more experience in that area and invest in their craft as you do with yours.

I don't want to discourage you from making a video yourself. It's fun to learn and it's an exponentially growing field (yup!) online. I just don't want you to buy a cheap (relatively speaking!) camera and expect more than it can deliver. I think it will still look like a camcorder recording.

Question: Are your shots fine except for the video quality? That is, the takes and the lighting are fine? If so, then rent a better camera and redo it. Otherwise, fix the lights and when you have that down, *then* get a better camera.

If you're planning to do lots of video, then save up for the real deal.

Good luck with it!

i wouldn't negate Final Cut EXPRESS.......cheaper version of the PRO, but very effective. Also look into Adobe Premiere and if you're interested in 2D/3D effect applications then see adobe after effects.

Back