Using Samplepacks - good or not?

Arsael

I've recently downloaded a free samplepack from loopmasters.
I don't know if it's right to use the loops that are included, it just feels
like it's not my work, seems too easy. Do you producers use sample loops
in your songs?

Thanks for your response

I can understand why you'd feel that way, since it really isn't your work. The use of construction loops is something I frown upon personally, but don't really mind chopping things up to create something unique.

Simply slapping on the loop because you can't do better yourself is only going to hinder you in the long run. The only way to learn is the hard way, by making hundreds upon hundreds of your own customised loops and whatever you can think of. Then again, in this day and age, hardly anything is truly original unless you completely synthesize your own stuff or build your own instruments.

Last edited:
I use both synthesizer and one shot samples. I have yet to sample anything from an existing track. It's just not my style. Quite often I sample my own synthesized sounds and tweak them in audio sample form using different effects and what not

Last edited:
I'm with Wallengard on this one... The only time I ever use a loop is when I'm adding it into the distant background of my already existing drums to give it more flavor perhaps. I'll use a sidechain on it or even reverse sidechain using the Cableguys Kickstart vst.. it allows me to remove what I want completely or make it much less noticeable leaving me with what I truly wanted from the loop. My method may sound weird and there are probably much better ways to do it but it's what works for me

I'm with Wallengard on this one... The only time I ever use a loop is when I'm adding it into the distant background of my already existing drums to give it more flavor perhaps. I'll use a sidechain on it or even reverse sidechain using the Cableguys Kickstart vst.. it allows me to remove what I want completely or make it much less noticeable leaving me with what I truly wanted from the loop. My method may sound weird and there are probably much better ways to do it but it's what works for me

Ive often used a similar technique (using filters instead of sidechain) to get that cymbal 'shimmer' over my own drums.

I don't think I've once used a loop, even just to practice making beats, since I first started making music.

The fact that you asked that question is a good thing. Just think about how many people may have downloaded the same sample pack that you did. Maybe these various loops will be in different pitches, or it'll be distorted or have some other effects, but it's still the same loop.

It's sort of like slapping a preset from a VST into your track without changing any of the parameters. It may work with your beat, but you take the chance of someone saying "cool sound, but it's probably just a Massive preset".

The more customization you do, the more unique your stuff will be. And you won't feel any bit of guilt.

Thank you for your responses.
That's what I felt, I will stick with synths and eventually one-shots.

It depends. I see using a sample pack only slightly different than sampling an existing song.

As long as you flip it and make it your own it's all good to me.

I never use loops with the exception of ones I have created myself. I've tried using loops, but they never seems to go well with the other tracks I have. I say go with what ever works. It is possible to become talented at using loops, splicing them, mixing them with other audio sources, etc.

Back