use which software for what?

edwin012290

hi, im relatively new to music producing and was wondering what you guys prefer using for which parts of the music making process. so im fiddling around with the programs i currently have, which are cubase, reason, audition, fl studio, acid pro, and wavelab. should i sequence on a certain program? should i record vocals on another program and just import my sequenced song to that program?
i.e. fiddle with beats and whatnot on reason, sequence on cubase, import it to audition and record vocals on audition, take that file to wavelab and master there?
sorry if this question is either newb or "your question will result in a number of different opinions". i just want to know what programs are better or more fitting for what purpose and whether if i could just kill two or three birds with one stone all on a daw like cubase and scrap mastering on wavelab and whatnot. i'd really appreciate any advice guys can give me. if you guys are gonna say why you think protools or ableton is better for what, that would help too. i know most of this is "user preference" but i'd just like to gain more insight on what programs are better for a given phase of this musical process. thanks so much for your help guys!

. so im fiddling around with the programs i currently have, which are cubase, reason, audition, fl studio, acid pro, and wavelab.

If you actually took the time to seriously learn how to use all of those programs that you have, you could answer your own question better than anyone else can. No one can tell you what workflow is better for you!!!!

Last edited:
If you actually took the time to seriously learn how to use all of those programs that you have, you could answer your own question better than anyone else can. No one can tell you what workflow is better for you!!!!
im asking how other people approach the bend

You have too much software. I use Reason to make tracks, ProTools to record and mix and master, and SoundForge to edit samples.

At other studios I've been known to use FL to make tracks and Cubase to record, mix, and master.

Back