use mpk25 and fl 9...lookin to start scratching in my beats...

36 chamber music

what up fp, i use an mpk25, fl 9, a tascam 144 interface, along with windows xp and a few other things...my question is how do i go about scratching in my songs? do i need to get a usb dj controller, an actual usb turntable, etc?

what do u guys think is the best route to go upon scratching in the hooks of my songs...i have searched a lot on google and fp but i just cant seem to find the right answer. Ive tried scratching a bit using the fruity scratcher (that thing f''ckin blows!!!) and using the wavetraveller, i honestly think its lame to be making scratching noises without actually SCRATCHING!

I need help, thanks fp!

oh yeah another thing...im open to scratching using mp3's or actual vinyl, which ever way is better for a beginner...ive been making beats for about 3 months but never really scratched before...thanks!

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

my bad i just found a good thread a few minutes ago...im open for responses though...

have you ever used a turntable and mixer before? to have a feel for it is better then turning a knob and some sliders. i'm not knocking you, just planting a seed.

have you ever used a turntable and mixer before? to have a feel for it is better then turning a knob and some sliders. i'm not knocking you, just planting a seed.

Did u not read my post? I specifically said that I hate using the "fruity scratcher" and the wavetreveller...this is the exact reason I want a turntable, it's more organic.

I have never scratched nor sampled with a turntable (all my beats r sample based but all mp3 to wav samples). I would really like to get a turntable for sampling/scratching puposes within a year...any suggestions???

u can find some techs on craigs for a decent price. When it comes to a mixer think simple, but not cheap.

Last edited:
u can find some techs on craigs for a decent price. When it comes to a mixer think simple, but not cheap.

So I could simply get a turntable and a mixer and record my scratches/samples right into, say, Edison in fl 9? Is it as simple as that after I hook it up?

Yes. Get on Craigslist and look for a good direct drive turntable (key word being a good one: can't go wrong with 1200's), and pick up an American Audio Q-D5 mixer. They run a little over $150 I think and they have the best crossfader of any mixer under $200.

Yes. Get on Craigslist and look for a good direct drive turntable (key word being a good one: can't go wrong with 1200's), and pick up an American Audio Q-D5 mixer. They run a little over $150 I think and they have the best crossfader of any mixer under $200.

Awsome...thanks man

---------- Post added 03-11-2010 at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-10-2010 at 02:25 PM ----------

I'm new to turntables, as I said in my post I'm yet to sample vinyl and scratch....what's the basics I need to scratch in a track in fl studio 9 and sample from vinyl into fl studio 9? I know I'm getting repetative but do I just need a direct drive turntable and a dj mixer??? Is mixer 100 percent neccessary? Thanks for the patience guys...

I got a rane 54i on craigslist for just under $200. There's good deals to be had everywhere.

Though, you CAN get a midi device, too. Which would probably end up being cheaper as you'd need to buy an interface or a soundcard if you do not have one. It's not really as easy as just hooking it up....you need a means of hooking it up, which is likely a soundcard or box. (Still pretty cheap)

I imagine the FL scratcher would be just fine with a controller.

I got a rane 54i on craigslist for just under $200. There's good deals to be had everywhere.

Though, you CAN get a midi device, too. Which would probably end up being cheaper as you'd need to buy an interface or a soundcard if you do not have one. It's not really as easy as just hooking it up....you need a means of hooking it up, which is likely a soundcard or box. (Still pretty cheap)

I imagine the FL scratcher would be just fine with a controller.

I have a tascam 144 interface and I'm lookin to scratch vinyl, I want the real deal not fl scratcher...

I have a tascam 144 interface and I'm lookin to scratch vinyl, I want the real deal not fl scratcher...

I wouldn't settle for anything less than techs/rane/pioneer/allen&heath

There's a lot of really poorly made cheap dj equipment...I've found that it ends up being more expensive in the long run since you'll ultimately have to upgrade at some point if you're serious about it.

Find a good used tech 1200 and browse for a decent 2channel mixer, imo. Shouldn't end up costing more than $500

EDIT: it's also good to remember that vinyl is EXPENSIVE. If you're married or in a relationship, be careful! lol I've spend $1000s on wax...my wife doesn't get it :P

Last edited:
I can vouch for the Q-D5 as a good scratch mixer at least to learn on. Of course something from Rane/Ecler/Vestax would be ideal, but to learn on, the optical fader on it does the job really well.

But yeah, for TT's, 1200's are the only **** I **** with.

I can vouch for the Q-D5 as a good scratch mixer at least to learn on. Of course something from Rane/Ecler/Vestax would be ideal, but to learn on, the optical fader on it does the job really well.

But yeah, for TT's, 1200's are the only **** I **** with.

Dope thanks guys...n btw I'm only 19 and just started producing/making beats like three months ago...I'm far from married lol, Im yet to have a chick I gotta answer to when it comes to my cash flow...lol...

Back