Upgrade?Downgrade?Honest Opinion

MacVibez

Just ordered a TLM 102, currently using a JoeMeek JM37 into Scarlette 2i2 with a presonus TubePre V1.
Im always looking for that better sound but im not rich by any means, anyway id just like some honest opinions about my current set up and the 102. Im posting a soundclip of my current sound any feedback would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Mac Vibez - A-Wall (Sample).mp3
    3.1 MB · Views: 27
Didn't listen to the sample.
I would recommend to take the TubePre out of the recording chain.
Do you did any room acoustic treatment?

My closet is somewhat treated lol, nothing professional at all just a few blankets and pieces of pyramid foam. Any reason why you suggest that the tube pre be taken out?

What do you expect from the tubepre?
Something called 'Warmth'?
It isn't possible to build a real tubepre for the price of the tubepre. This thing is just a small noise generator. ;)

You'll have to treat your room otherwise your search for better sound quality will go on and on and on. Some broadband absorbers (place 'em around you, one in the back, one left/right) are the minimum. There're some DIY instructions on the web. :)

If it helps... My studio is in the attic.
Vocals recorded in the attic sound shit.
I record my vocals in the living room - it's got book shelves, heavy curtains and a couple sofas. It's also much bigger than my attic - a more controllable space.

Back