Up and Coming Star Producer needs a lil advice....

S

SymphonyMajor

im a up n coming producer and ive been doin music for a long time. i taught myself how to play the drums when i was 13 and ive been playin since and can hold my own with some of these guys that went to school for drums...i need some advice because when i start to hear music in my head i cant translate to the computer how it sounds to me and when i try to put it down it sounds different. do u really have to be a good keyboard player to lay down some hot chord progressions?....cuz i can hear em...just cant play em

hey man, im new here and to producing myself but i think i can help a lil bit here. The answer is, no, you don't have to know how to play to lay down some great stuff (although obviously the more you practice the easier it gets). i hear melodies n such in my head all the time and just grab a guitar and slide up to the note im hearing and slowly work it out from there, or find a keyboard and just start tapping keys til you match that note you hear in your head. one thing i used to do as a reference to learn is write the note names on the keys w/a sharpie or w/e and it helps huge. as far as chords hold that original note down and tap some keys til you find 3 or 4 more notes that blend well. So to summarize, picture what you want, trust your ear, and your fingers will slowly learn to follow whats in ur mind. hope that helps

To make any chord progression you don't have to. You could just learn scales and then do triad chordes in the scale and make a progression.

If you have a specific one in your head knowing music theory isn't realy gonna help. It's more just practice. Eventually you could say the chorde name from the sound it makes but that takes a lot of time.

Your best bet is to get a mic and do the progression. There is a function atleast in FL that will take that and put notes to it. You obviously can't do chordes with one take but it will give you the root note and then you can fill in the rest of the notes for the chorde

thanks for the help..wats that function in FL? how do i get to it and wat exactly does it do?

It's in edison.

Record a vocal take doing 4 notes.

Once once it's recorded go to tools and click "convert to score and dump to piano roll".

Congrats that melody you just sang is not in your piano roll.

Back