Understanding EQ / Everthing in its own space

Status
Not open for further replies.
When mixing vocals you wanna get rid of the unwanted bass (50Hz-100Hz) so you it doesn't clash with the rest of the recording in the mix

I have a long way to go with this EQ stuff, same wit compression, i wish i could jus get an engineer to help me wit all this but i guess it would be good to know this stuff yourself n not need a engineer. does anybody know a engineer who will work for free?...lmao jk

Great bits of information from everyone who posted their knowledge. I would agree with some that this guide would be use as a general blueprint. There are way too many genres out there that emphasize EQ'n differently. So finding that right blend for your style of genre then your own flavor of that style is really going to be up to you and your ears.
Keep the info flowing FP!

Great post, I love the car analogy..
EQs are of course indispensible, but they can also ruin everything. It's good to use them moderately, allowing most instruments to cover a broad range with just a small focal area.. more important, I find, is portioning up Time to each sound. I believe that's what the greats, from Liam to JFK and Al-P, all do.

Since this thread is a classic FP that has now spanned 7 years, I'm wondering if I may make an admin request to one of the moderators.....

The information contained within is fantastic and every once in awhile it is nice to go back and glance through in case you forgot something, missed it the first time, etc etc. But now that 7 years and 19 pages have gone by, I must admit I probably haven't read pages 9-17.

MY SUGGESTION (hoping it gets taken seriously....)

Can we PLEASE moderate the comments such as:
"Hey, great thread." or
"Awesome information here."
especially the comments from more than 1 year ago.

Since this is such a classic and is always a good reference, I would like it cleaned up so that information is condensed and easier to digest in one sitting.

I'm pretty sure I can safely say that people are scrolling a lot through the early pages and not there to read "Hey....this is the best thread!" from 5 or 6 years ago.

( and then delete this one too. :) )

Thanks, Merci, Danke, Dekuji, Gracias.

Last edited:
Wow this thread is wicked im going to have to go through it a few times to learn things.

You guys rock

this a great thread, thanks for the tips.

So am i right in saying, to get a clear mix i need to find the sweet spot of instruments etc, and do small notching out to the other instruments in that range?
for instance, if i have a drum pattern goin with some strings, a guitar, bass, an say a flute, if i wanted the mix to come through clear, i'd, say the guitar was the lead,, notch out the dominating frequency of the guitar out of the other instruments? and so on with the other instruments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back